A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Last Day Of School Palm Trees

Today is the LAST DAY of the school year.  In my first three years as a teacher, I was still feeling pretty upbeat and full of energy at the end of the year, but I'll admit that I've been dragging a bit as we've headed down the stretch.  Not really proud of it, but it is what it is.

It's also not really the "last" day, since we also have to be in on Friday to clean things up and get rooms ready.  Lots of teachers are changing rooms, but fortunately, I'm staying put.  Still, I did volunteer to teach Summer School, though, so my summer vacation is postponed 'til July.  Can't complain, can use the money.

ANYWAYS, I didn't mean to turn that into a rant on teaching.  I love it, I guess I'm just ready for a break.

And when some people think of "breaks", they think of relaxing places, like beaches or baseball stadiums.  Here's the next installment of "Cards For The Trees"


1996 Collector's Choice Jacob Brumfield #683
 I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure this card came to my collection via Ethan at Playing With My Cards.  He's a big "mini collection" guy (although that sounds like an oxymoron), and was more than happy to send over some cards for my short lived "Orange Line" collection.  Fortunately, this one still fits into the my "Jack Murphy Stadium Palm Tree" mini-collection.

I only have a few (like, three or four) cards in this collection that aren't Padre cards, and since the Padres beat the Pirates yesterday, I figured it was a good time to show this one.  BTW, the Padres won 3-2, despite getting one-hit (which happened to be a bunt single).  How does this happen?  Lots of walks.

Anyways, here we have Mr. Brumfield doing some warmup stretches while wearing a jacket at what appears to be a day game in San Diego.  Not sure how necessary that is, but whatever.  Looks like there's some fuzzy guys in the background as well.

And those trees.  Those glorious trees.

Since I can't imagine having another post dedicated to Jacob Brumfield, I figured I should show the back.  Like the addition of the trivia to the back, though I rarely ever know the answer to such… uh, trivial things.  Speaking of trivial things, the "collision" with Dave Clark mentioned on the back of the card broke Clark's clavicle.  From what I can tell, Brumfield got off a little easier.

Alright, I'll wrap this up.

Stay cool over the summer.

1 comment:

  1. The collision between Brumfield and Clark was really, really nasty. It actually looked like Brumfield took the worst of it, but Clark ended up falling into the outfield wall at a angle that is tough to watch.

    There's a photo of the collision at http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/dam/assets/130508180113-1995-dave-clark-jacob-brumfield-single-image-cut.jpg

    ReplyDelete