A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Friday, June 6, 2014

From MY Archives, 2014 Edition

Well, last year, when I was a little underwhelmed with the Archives set that Topps put out, I decided to post a sampling of original cards from the years that Archives featured.  I thought it turned out pretty well, but you can see for yourself here.  At the very least, it seems like Topps was listening to me and included a Bip Roberts auto in this year's Archives.  Nice!

Anyways, here's round two, cards from my archives that come from sets featured in this year's edition of Topps.  Different from last year, when all of the cards came from the Misc. Padres binders, two of these come from the Team Sets binder, since I have a team set of the '73 Padres and the '86 Padres.

I'll start off by saying that, while I enjoyed the sets that Topps featured last year a little more, I was able to pull some "bigger" names for this year's post.  And when I mean big, I mean… well, big for the Padres.
 1971 - Nate Colbert
Man, do I love the '73 Topps set.  I really like how cards from '73 (white border) look when they're next to cards from '71 (black border).  Nate Colbert, if you weren't aware, is the Padres all time leader in home runs with 163.  That's two more than Adrian Gonzalez had in his Padre career.  Now, I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but if you want to talk about a record that will never be broken, I think you can save your Ripken/Ryan/Rose talk and stop right with Nate the Great.  The next closest current Padre is Chase Headley (who is most likely gone after this season), and he's only at 84 - just barely past the halfway mark.

To break this record, the Padres would have to actually have a player who can hit balls out of the cavernous Petco Park, and then decide to keep him for more than a few years.  To me, it seems more realistic that they sign an aging Adrian Gonzalez to a Piazza/Maddux type deal in a decade or so, and he breaks the record as a double dipper.

 1980 - Randy Jones
While Tony Gwynn will always and forever be "Mr. Padre", Randy Jones is no slouch.  High marks in both the "playing" category (All Star x2, Cy Young Award winner), as well as the "beloved" sabermetric (sells BBQ at Petco Park).  His number has been retired by the Padres and he still associates with the Padres enough to represent them in this year's draft.  While not a fan of the '80 set, Jones is a great Padre.

Some may think that including Steve Garvey in a set as a Padre might be the equivalent of putting Dale Murphy in a set as a Rockie, but Garvey was a big part of the 1984 pennant-winning Padres, and even has his number retired.  While I don't think that hitting a game winning home run in the NLCS is worth retiring a number over, it was a big moment for the franchise, and it's not like the Friars are overrun with recognizable names, so I understand the Padres trying to associate Garvey with the team as much as.  He's still a Dodger.

I guess if we're going to split hairs, Tim Flannery is now a Giant, so that makes half of this foursome who is associated with a different NL West team.  Flannery was definitely a fan favorite in San Diego.  He is an accomplished musician (I remember listening to a CD of his when I was a kid) and has even written a few songs about Padre greats.  Current manager Buddy Black is (or should be) on the hot seat, and someone on twitter mentioned that they'd like to see Flan get a chance to manage.  I'm not sure how well he'd do, just because I don't pretend to know that kind of stuff, but it'd be cool to see him back in San Diego.

Well, there's another year of cards "From MY Archives".  I haven't actually found any Archives in my neck of the woods, yet.  I don't think I'll love the set, but there are still some names in there that I like to see (big names like Killebrew and McCovey, as well as Goose Gossage and Orlando Hernandez).

Until then, I'll have to be satisfied with what I've got.

I'm alright with that.

1 comment:

  1. Big Nate made my morning! He hit the first Home Run I ever saw in person at the first game I ever went to. Dodgers v. Padres 1973. With that one swing he joined Garvy and Cey as one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete