A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, June 1, 2014

ATWTTB Card of the Year Frontrunner


I know that it's just barely June, and there are still many more sets to be released, but I'm not sure if I'm going to come across a baseball card that I like more than this one.

Sure, there will be other cards with serial numbers, lots of shine, and maybe even pieces of jersey or bat, but as far as your standard "this looks freaking awesome" card goes, this one is mine… so far.

I challenge all other cards to beat it:


Alright, so maybe the buildup left you feeling a little underwhelmed.  Well, let's break it down, and I'll explain it to ya.

1) Andrew Cashner
Sure, this would've been a more "timely" card if Cashner had just thrown yet another one-hitter against a playoff caliber team, but he's on the DL right now, so that'll have to wait.  Still, Cashner is as big a name as the Padres have got, and the dude is a beast.  Easily my favorite player on the Padres (sorry Deno, I think you've been edged).

2) Throwback uniform alert!
Even though it's not the Padre brown that should belong on every throwback (and current jersey) that there is, it's still one that I really like: the Padre uniform of my childhood.  I'm pretty sure that these were worn during some "look how awesome the Padres were in 1998" celebration, but I've said it before, the '96 team is my favorite Padre team of all time.

3) Lonestar State
Even though I wasn't born in Texas, I got here as soon as I could!  You can't choose where you're born or where you grew up, and although I have zero problem with where I was born (Portland, OR) or raised (San Diego, CA), I am proud to say that I love Texas and think that it's great.  That a Texas flag shows up on a Padre card is the kind of combined awesomeness that I didn't think would be possible.

Alright, so there's no colored border around it and no chrome shine to it.  I guess you can't please 'em all.

But I like it, and I don't see any other cards coming close to it (though Bip Roberts has an autograph in this year's Archives set, so that will probably give this one a run for it's money).

4 comments:

  1. Not just that it's the Texas flag, man. The placement of the star. How cool is that!? It's an aesthetic triumph on top of everything you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the placement of the SD between Cashner's legs.

      Delete
  2. I've been reading through some posts I have not read, and this youtube reminds me of you. We do kind of joke about you and your 'crush' on Cashner.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJVt8kUAm9Q

    ReplyDelete