A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Throwback Madness

Man, I didn't realize that my last post was post number 600!  I've been posting so infrequently this year (compared to the rest of the short history of this blog) that I guess I've been glossing over stuff that I used to notice.

Anyways, I'll celebrate breaking the 600 barrier with some good old fashioned throwback uniform cards.

A few posts ago (last week), I wrote about the Padres using the 1984 throwback uniforms in a series agains the Cubs.  It got me thinking about the influx of throwback uniforms that we've seen on baseball cards.  More specifically, the Padre variations.

So, without further ado, here are a bunch of recent Padre cards featuring throwback uniforms.

Alright, maybe I started off with the best card of the bunch. No other set is more suited for a throwback uniform than Heritage.  That the orange and brown match the orange lettering above Maybin's head is pretty slick in my book.  Wish they would've done all of the Padres cards like this one, looks soooo awesome.

Here's a bunch of cards from last year's flagship set.  Not one, not two, but three different throwback uniforms in play here. Chase Headley and Cam Maybin start us off with some 70's uniforms, while Yonder Alonso and Carlos Quentin give us some more brown goodness with some 80's vibes.  Andrew Cashner rocks the blue and orange of the 90's.  Very impressive, to go along with the great design and cool parallels of 2013.

There were no throwback uniforms in the 2012 Topps flagship set.  Lame.  Had some camo and the other "regular" jerseys, but nothing awesome.

On to 2011.

Ahh, the set that got me back into collecting.  Only one throwback uniform here, but it's a good one.  Great shots of all the players as well.  The Denorfia card is one of my all time favorites, and was the first "rainbow" that I ever attempted (and have somewhat completed).

There may be more cards of Padres in throwbacks, and I might even have some hidden away in my binders.  Still, I don't think that cards have gone quite as throwback-crazy as they have the last couple of years.

I'm diggin' it.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on 600 posts! Those are some sweet throwbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on 600 my friend! You're making me start to like the brown...

    ReplyDelete