A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Friday, May 30, 2014

Mini Bowmans? Mini Bowmen?

Wow, it's been a crazy week!  This is the second to last week of school for me (or penultimate, for you five-dollar-word people), and my grandparents drove all the way from San Diego to come visit their Texan grandchildren.

Today I'm taking a half day at school.  Need to do some end-of-the-year paperwork and what not, and will then be heading down to San Antonio with said grandparents and family.  Not quite sure what we'll be doing down there, but it'll be fun.

Personally (and I know it might be a long shot), I'd love to be able to go to a San Antonio Missions game.  If I go, I might be able to see some of the players featured in this post.

Here is the "complete team set" for the 2014 Bowman Prospect mini's.  I'm a sucker for these things, after they were inserted into the set last year.  They're here in order from highest to lowest prospect, though the rankings may have changed since the cards were printed.  Rymer Liriano is currently raking in AA San Antonio, and Austin Hedges has thrown out more than 20 would-be base-stealers for the Missions.  Has hit a few homers as well.  Max Fried is still recovering from some arm issues that sidelined him before Spring Training began.  Jace Peterson skipped from AA right to the big club, where he got his first hit on the first pitch he saw from a guy named Strasburg.  He's back in AAA, right now, along with Matt Wisler, who pretty much annihilated everybody he faced in AA, though hasn't seen the same success as an El Paso Chihuahua.

Sorry for the huge rundown of prospects that many of you probably don't care about.  The Padres lost their last game 12-6, so I'm looking forward to the future… hopefully.  I think Peterson and Wisler will be on the roster by the end of the year, with Liriano and Hedges having an outside chance, but will most likely be on the team next year.

Here's the team set from 2013 Bowman, a little "Where are they Now?" if you will.

Well, it looks like three-fifths of the guys are still on "prospect" level.  Jedd Gyorko had a above average rookie campaign, hitting .249 with 23 homers.  The 123 strikeouts versus just 33 walks foreshadowed some plate discipline issues, and this year he is hitting a paltry .173, though he does have 5 homers and leads the team with 24 RBI (more of an indictment to a horrible offense than a compliment to Jedd).  Casey Kelly is rehabbing his Tommy John surgery and will likely be joining the San Diego rotation since Robbie Erlin and my man crush, Andrew Cashner have hit the DL as of late.

Hmm, I hadn't meant for this post to be so wordy, but when it's Bowman and they're mostly prospects, I guess you have to find a way to explain why we/I should get excited about them.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of Bowman, or of mini cards, but for some reason, when they're put together, I really like 'em.  I guess I'm also just a sucker for Padre cards that I don't already have in general, since it seems like they keep getting cut out of more and more checklists these days (ahem, Archives).

Hope everybody has a great start to their weekend!  Go Padres!

No comments:

Post a Comment