A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Good Day For Pink

If you are watching any baseball games on this Mother's Day, chances are you'll be seeing a lot of pink.  Pink bats, pink cleats, pink wristbands.  Even the stitching on the baseballs will be pink.

At first, I thought that the pink explosion might be going a little bit overboard.  Maybe it is.

But it's probably hard to over do it when you're celebrating motherhood.

As far as I can tell, I have only two baseball cards that have any amount of pink on them, which works out, since I have two great mothers in my life: the one that raised me, and the one that I'm married to.

Andrew Cashner is awesome.  So is my mom.  Both have a lot of natural gifts that make them great, and both have a lot of fun at what they do.  My mom is always really upbeat and positive, even when there are plenty of reasons to be negative (like being on the Padres).  Plus, my mom has always gave me pretty free reign to pursue my interests, and had no problem letting me grow out a mullet in elementary school.  I thought I was so cool, but it was nowhere near as awesome as Cashner's.

Not even close.

As much as I love Cashner (and believe me, the love is strong), I think I still have to give the #1 spot in my "favorite Padre" list to Chris Denorfia.  Like Deno, my wife is awesome.  Day in, day out, she does what it takes to get stuff done.  With Deno, lots of times it's stuff that can go unnoticed by the casual fan, but as a diehard who rarely misses a game, I know how important he is to our team.  Without my wife, our team would be bad.  Even worse than the Padres.  Deno is a good baserunner, fielder, and hitter.  I would need another post (or ten) to list all the things that my wife is great at.

Above all of that, however, she is a great mom.  Our kids are so blessed.

Yesterday, we went to the splash pad in the next town over.  Foster didn't want to get in the water, but Harper had a blast.  A pretty good way to spend Mother's Day Eve, if you ask me.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there, but especially the ones that I love so much.  I love you more than words could possibly describe.  And definitely more than Andrew Cashner and Chris Denorfia.

*EDIT*
The Denorfia card is serial numbered 29/50, which I guess is cool, since my wife is 29 (for a few more weeks).  The Cashner is numbered 48/50, but I can't think of any significance that would have to my mom.

4 comments:

  1. Nice little post. At first I thought the pink may have been pushing it a little too far but I realized it's only for Mother's Day, it's a nice little way to celebrate it. Plus I'm sure the pink bats that are used are given away or sold for charity purposes (something like that, I'm sure). Happy Mother's Day to both of your moms, as well as all the others out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for including me!!!! Hmmm, the mullet...wondering where the picture is and if I can post it here. As your mom, it was fun to watch you go and explore, baseball, volleyball, guitar, shot put, dating, college, married, being a teacher and a dad in the same school year. Thanks for letting me come along for the ride. And I can't wait to see what the future holds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom let you grow a mullet? Nominate her for the mom of the year award. Do it... now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool mom's rock. You hear that mom? She's not listening.

    ReplyDelete