A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, May 5, 2014

1,222

In case you haven't noticed, I'm making a conscious effort to shorten my posts, and by doing so, hopefully increase the number I'm able to write.  I had my first Summer School meeting this weekend, so I'm already thinking ahead to the next few months, and hopefully once schools out, I'll have some more time to write and dig into my baseball cards.

You know, the important stuff.

Anyways, I got a pretty sweet PWE from TJ at The Junior Junkie blog this weekend.  Five or six new Gwynn's to add to the binder, along with a few other cards for the Misc. Padres binder.  This was my favorite of the bunch.

While I'm not an OCD collector who has to have every Padres card (not that there's anything at all wrong with that kind of collecting, I just know that I'd get burned out by it), I hang on to every Otsuka card I get.  The reasons for this are varied, but suffice it to say that he was a definite fan favorite during his time in San Diego.

By the time he left the Japan, he was already in his 30's, so he only spent four years in MLB - two with San Diego and two with Texas.  He had a career ERA of 2.44 in 232 innings.  All very solid, but he is probably most known in San Diego for this…


Anyways, Aki's card was the 1,222nd card in the Miscellaneous Padres binders (Vol. J-Y).  Kind of a fun looking number.  Both binders are reaching critical mass, so a few more pages and I'll have to be looking for another binder.

Thanks TJ!

5 comments:

  1. That Corky's commercial is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with Zippy!

      Delete
    2. That was great TV! Love local commercials

      Delete
    3. Yep, whenever I come across cards of the guy, I always think of that commercial with the ants. Man, I hate ants, so maybe that association is why I never collected his cards much, even if it is an anti-ant ad, lol.

      Delete
  2. What Zippy and Fuji said.

    Awesome Otsuka card, Marcus. I've never seen that one before, but with this being the 1,222 card in your Miscellaneous Padres binder, I'm imagining there are a few others I've never seen as well.

    Always on the lookout for better ways of organizing my collection, I'd love to see some photos of your binder system. Have you posted shots of your binders on the shelf/shelves?

    ReplyDelete