A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Section O of the Misc. Padres

Here is today's installment of my Countdown to Opening Day 2014.  Each countdown post will feature a section of my Miscellaneous Padres binders.  Separate from my Team Set binder, Rad binder, Tony Gwynn binder, and Player Collection binder, are a pair of binders that hold all the rest of my beloved Padres.  I think they're awesome.


Hey, it's the Padres Opening Day, so why not a visit to Section "O" of the MP binder?  I guess if I was a really cool blog, I'd be posting about some great April Fools Day joke.  But this isn't a cool blog.

Sorry.  Instead, you get Jesse Orosco!
O:
Miguel Ojeda – 1
Jesse Orosco – 1
Akinori Otsuka – 10
Bob Owchinko – 1
Eric Owens – 8

Total cards - 16
Total players - 5
Most - Eric Owens (7)
Least - Miguel Ojeda, Jesse Orosco, Bob Owchinko (1)
Oldest - Bob Owchinko (1979 Topps)


I had no idea that Jesse Orosco ever played for the Padres until I got this card.  Pretty hard to believe that he had a 24 year career that started in the 70s, and was still around for a baseball card in 2003.  In '03, he pitched for three teams, the first of which was the Padres (later traded to the Yankees, who later traded him to the Twins), in what would be his final year.  Did you know that Orosco was a two time All-Star?  Both games were before I was born, so I didn't know until just now.  Orosco's most recent claim to fame was being included in last year's Topps set on the back of lots of cards that mentioned that he was the all-time leader in games pitched, with 1,252.  That's a lot of games.

Aki Otsuka is a great Padre.  There is nothing that I don't love about him.  If I was to create a "Favorite Padre" team, he'd be one of the guys in the bullpen.

I mean, it might be a crowded bullpen (Gossage, Fingers, Hoffman, Bell, Gregerson, Worrell, etc.), but he'd be in there.

I don't really know that much about Bob Owchinko, but I like this card.  Lots of blue sky in the background, while Owchinko is calmly looking away at… something.  Man, I'm just getting lost in that blue sky.

Speaking of All-Time Favorite Padres, Eric Owens is going to have to be on there as well.  He'd be on the bench, along with a few other gritty-guys.  He'd be a good late game replacement for Tony Gwynn, a pinch runner that could score a difference-making run.  Yes, in my All-Time Favorite Padres team, I'm including the 90's version of Tony Gwynn, not the 80's version of the all-time great.  That's when he became a favorite for me, sorry.  Anyways, yeah, Eric Owens is awesome.  Not a lot of great cards, but still awesome.

All right, two Misc. Padres posts for the day!  This may actually have a proper ending someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment