A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Cashner

Padres won last night, on the shoulders of their ace, Andrew Cashner.

The Padres are a sometimes good, never great, often below average team.  It's something that I've come to accept, despite a handful of times when it seemed like something good could happen.  I'm not as optimistic that they'll ever win a World Series or throw a no-hitter.

But I do know that on days that Andrew Cashner pitches, I get genuinely excited.

Normally, I'm busy during a game, so as I'm watching it on my laptop, I'll get back to doing something else while the other team is batting and just stay tuned for when the Padres are hitting.  With Cashner, it's the other way around - I'd rather watch the pitching than the offense.  The dude is awesome.

Anyways, here is my first Gypsy Queen card of the year, of the aforementioned Andrew Burton Cashner.

It's one of the red bordered minis, and is numbered to 99.  I'm not a huge fan of Gypsy Queen (haven't bought a pack since 2012, and don't plan on buying any this year, either), but this is a pretty solid Cashner card.  I knew that Cashner won the Pitcher of the Year award for the Padres, but didn't know it was named after Clyde McCullough.  Still trying to find out more about who McCullough is and why he has an award named after him.

Anyways, here's a .gif of the Topps rainbow I have going of Cashner cards.  Only missing the pink version, numbered to 50.  Hopefully I can find one, even though this rainbow set now is more than a page, which seems a little excessive.

So, yeah, Padres win, Cashner is great, and there's a day game tomorrow, which means that I don't have to stay up late to watch my Padres play.  Sounds good to me.

2 comments:

  1. The Cashner-Rizzo trade may go down as one of the better, "worked out well for both teams" trades.

    ReplyDelete