A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, April 7, 2014

One

It's been a week since I last posted here, the longest stretch since 2012.  I think.

Been very busy lately, coupled with a bit of disinterest in blogging.  It makes me feel guilty, since I still have trade posts that have been in draft mode for over a month now, and there are other things that I'd like to post about, but spending time with my family when I'm home from work has trumped everything.  That, coupled with spending my nights actually watching baseball has cut short writing time.

This past week has been full of highs and lows.  Over the weekend, I was able to spend all day with my family, and we were able to listen to General Conference, a broadcast of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I rarely get any responses when I mention my religious beliefs, which is fine (that's not usually the reason to read a baseball card blog), but I will continue to mention it now and again, as it is a very large part of my life.  Anyways, it was great to feel spiritually renewed and to talk with my wife about strengthening our family and our faith.

Some of you may also know that I am a teacher in central Texas.  I happen to teach on Fort Hood, where there was a recent shooting.  Again.

I wasn't here for the first one, but trust me, this one was one I won't forget.

I don't want to make it seem like I was deeply affected by it, since I left school (early for once, around 4:15,) about 15 minutes before the whole post was locked down.  I didn't find out about it until I got home, and nobody I knew was directly involved.

Still, talking with my students and members of the community, and knowing the specifics of how close in proximity it was makes me sick.  It saddens me to think that things like that happen on a pretty regular basis, and that this post has already gone through that.  I thought about how much I love my kids and what I would do if something bad was to happen to them.  I definitely hugged them a little tighter that night.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's made posting here seem a lot less important.  Because in reality, it is.

This isn't my last post or anything, and I expect to be back to more regular posts soon, but I'll need to get back into a different frame of mind to do so, and it might be a little bit.


Which is not to say that I've given up collecting cards.  I've been picking up a few here and there from eBay (on the cheap, as per usual).  I've been waiting to post this one for a while because it's awesome.  Andrew Cashner is one of the few Padres who has gotten off to a good start (even though he's 0-1, the Padres haven't scored a run while he's been on the field).  This is from last year's Topps set and is one of the blue shiny ones that I think you had to send in wrappers for.  Very cool.

I'm even (probably) going to send off my first TTM autograph request soon.  I know I mentioned that I would do it during Spring Training, but that didn't happen.

If I still owe you cards (I know there are a few of you guys out there), I promise that I haven't forgotten, I've just been moving slow.  I'm not promising them to anybody else, I'm kind of an a trade hiatus for now.  I'd like to give you an idea of when I think I'll be sending them out, but I keep on saying it's soon and I keep turning myself into a liar.  Anyways, I hope all of my blogging buddies are doing well.  I'll still be reading the blogs when I have a chance.  Go Padres!

2 comments: