A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Fosters

I guess there is a TV show called "The Fosters".  This is not a post about that show.

As I've mentioned before, my son's name is Foster.  He is named after an ancestor of mine named Foster Curtis.  Foster Curtis was born in 1826 and was a private in Company D of the Mormon Battalion. The group, as part of the US Army, marched from Council Bluffs, Iowa to San Diego, CA, a trip that spanned over 2,000 miles.  Later, he would help build the LDS Temple in Salt Lake City, UT, as well as being a member of the police force and a bodyguard to Brigham Young.  While researching about his life, I found a description of him that I found very powerful.

He was a man of the purest principles and greatest integrity, and he was well respected by all who knew him, where ever he went he gained the good will of all his associates. He was liberal to the poor, faithful and true to his trust as a servant of God.

While I'm not expecting my son (or myself) to walk 2,000 miles or construct beautiful works of art over 200 feet tall, I do hope that the same can be said for him, and that he is able to do his best to live up to his namesake.

My parents named me after Marcus Allen, an NFL running back that led the Raiders to the Super Bowl the year I was born, and I don't really even like football, so the idea of following a namesake doesn't always pan out.  Regardless, I'll always love the guy.

So much so, that after he was born, I started up the "Foster Collection".  While there are some baseball Fosters that I have more than one card of (George Foster is probably the most prolific, baseball card-wise), I finally completed a full page different Fosters.

I really like how these look on a page.  Good variety of years, players, uniforms, designs, etc.  Alan Foster is the only Padre of the bunch, and he was the first one I got.  The Foster Coleman and George Foster rookie were probably the most expensive, but weren't more than a few dollars.  The Rube Foster was the most recent addition and came via trade from Jeff at Fan-Attic Sports Cards.

Here's a quick look at each of the cards.  In most cases, I wanted a specific card of the player, but in some instances, I didn't really care which one it was.

Foster Castleman - 1958 Topps (#416)
Here is one of the few cards that I have from the '50s.  This is one of two that is not a Pacific Coast League Padre or Jerry Coleman.  Castleman has three Topps cards, from '56 to '58, and this one got a slight edge over the '57 because I kinda like the Orioles (though I prefer the '57 design).  This is the only baseball card of a player who's first name is Foster that I am aware of, the rest use it as a surname.

Alan Foster - 1976 Topps (#266)
Here's the only Padre in the bunch.  If you havta pick one, the '76 set is a good choice.  This is a very underrated uniform for the Pads, as the brown had not yet become completely dominant in the color scheme.  Foster also pitched for the Cardinals, Dodgers, Indians, and Angels, but ended his big league career in San Diego.

George Foster - 1971 Topps (#276)
I love all of my Foster cards.  I really do.  This one is the best, though.  Hands down, not even close.  You may have recently read that this is a pretty badass rookie card, so if you don't take my word for it, take his.  While George Foster is more known for being a cog in the Big Red Machine, he has a pretty unforgettable card as a Giant.

Kevin Foster - 1998 Collector's Choice (#54)
With the 90's players, there were a few cards I could choose from.  While I'm not that big of a fan of the  '98 offering from Collector's Choice, the Cubs throwback uniforms made this one an easy choice.  So much blue.

Leo Foster - 1975 Topps mini (418)
Even though you can't really tell, this is the mini version of Leo Foster's '75 Topps card.  While I don't always love the color combo that seems to be randomly assigned to a player, Foster's looks good here, especially with the cool blue of the Braves jerseys.  The rest of his cards seem to capture Leo with a weird look on his face, so this one was pretty easy to choose as well.  As a side note, my wife really likes the name Leo, so there's a chance that if son #2 happens along at some point, this card could be a double whammy.

Quincy Foster - 2000 Bowman (#170)
It was only when I was taking the picture for this card that I realized really how horrible this card is.  Before I thought it was just some weird black border, but it turns out that it's really a television.  You know, like how the '55 Bowman set had the old school, wood grain TV?  Well, since it's, like, totally Y2K, we decided to have an "updated" TV set.  Lame.  And now it's 14 years later and TVs don't even look like this anymore.  Well, mine does because we got it for free from a friend.  He was having a hard time giving it away.  Anyways, uh, back to Quincy.  You win the award for ugliest uniform, worst photograph, and most unique name.

Roy Foster - 1971 Topps (#107)
Alright, some vintage goodness to get the taste of '00 Bowman out of my eyes.  As far as I'm aware, this is Roy's rookie card, and his card in the '72 set is his last one.  I have both, but the All-Star Rookie cup makes this one the easy choice.  As if my deep love for anything having to do with the '71 design would let me choose either way.

Rube Foster - 1994 Ted Williams (#105)
As stated previously, this is the most recent addition to the Foster collection (though I got another one a few days after starting the draft for this post).  This one might edge it out because a) it shows good old Rube with some pretty hiked up pants and an interesting look on his face, and b) it's the Ted Williams company.  The fact that it's a non-Topps card makes me happy, as it's basically all we have left in the Hobby (sorry, I want to love you Panini, but I have a hard time backing anything you've put out recently, other than Pinnacle - and even that was mostly a nostalgic trip for me).  

While I have recognized the name, I knew little about Rube before this post.  As someone who organized the Negro National League, I'm sure he'd be happy to know that two-thirds of the Foster's on this page are African-American.

Okay, he probably doesn't care too much.

Steve Foster - 1993 Topps Gold (#193)
Last up, Steve.  Like Kevin, there were a few 90's cards to choose from, but I decided to go with a nostalgic favorite.  I'm a sucker for the gold cards from '92 and '93 Topps, and since the golds from '93 look just a bit nicer than their earlier counterparts, I went with this one.  Even though his legs are cut off, still a good action shot and well worth the use of the horizontal card design.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who has helped towards the Foster project.  Thanks for reading.

Foster, I know you can't read this yet, but I love you and you're pretty awesome, even if you're a bit of a stinker from time to time.

4 comments:

  1. Great project! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe I'm just being contrary but I like the Quincy. Kind of looks like a freeze frame for the end of the show. Cue the theme music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All you have left is Ed Foster, John Foster, Kris Foster, and Les Foster.

    http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Search.cfm?siteurl=www.tradingcarddb.com%2F&ref=&ss=888j196530j6&SearchCategory=Baseball&cx=partner-pub-2387250451295121%3Ahes0ib-44xp&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=foster&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

    Good luck with Ed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps a Foster the People album/CD/whatever would qualify as an oddball piece to your Foster collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool collection! I never get used to seeing George Foster on a Giants card. One of these days I'll have to add his rookie card to my collection.

    ReplyDelete