A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Section J of the Misc. Padres

Here is today's installment of my Countdown to Opening Day 2014.  Each countdown post will feature a section of my Miscellaneous Padres binders.  Separate from my Team Set binder, Rad binder, Tony Gwynn binder, and Player Collection binder, are a pair of binders that hold all the rest of my beloved Padres.  I think they're awesome.

Just like last year, when I was trying to do a countdown to Opening Day (doing posts on each team), I am slowing down as we get closer to the date.  I actually stopped counting down the days, since I don't really count the Diamondbacks/Dodgers games in Australia as the beginning of the season.  The Padres actually had their Opening Day game on Monday moved back to Sunday, so they'll have an "Opening Night" as well as an "Opening Day" (anything to get a buck, huh?).

With all that confusion, I'm going to try to keep chugging a long with the Miscellaneous Padres posts, and hopefully it'll be Opening Day/Week/Month somewhere by the time I'm done.

Alright, on to the "J" section, the most elegant of letters!


J:
Damian Jackson – 3
Darrin Jackson – 3
Stan Jefferson – 2
D’Angelo Jimenez – 2
Jay Johnstone – 1
Jimmy Jones – 1
Randy Jones – 13
Ruppert Jones – 2
Wally Joyner – 40

Total cards - 67
Total players - 9
Most - Wally Joyner - 40
Least - Jay Johnstone and Jimmy Jones (1)
Oldest - Randy Jones (1975 Topps)

This card will soon be appearing in a JustCommons post that is long overdue.  I was perusing some late 90's/early 2000's Padres cards on COMC.com (because they've got pictures and JC doesn't), and thought, "Man, I want that card!"  It was about a dime, so I picked it up.  A good shot of the blue and orange seats at good old Jack Murphy Stadium.

I feel bad for Darrin Jackson, as it looks like he is flubbing a play for the Padres here, though it's most likely a Spring Training game here.  I'd be interested to know what exactly is happening here, since he is an outfielder.  Is this ball going all the way to the wall, or was he playing in and lost it in the sun?  Whatever the reason for this photo, it's one that catches my eye whenever I open the MP binder.  It's on the first page of Binder #2, along with the previous and forthcoming cards.

The lighting in my house decided to give this card a yellowish tinge, even though it didn't do it with the rest of the cards in this post, who were photographed at the same time.  Thanks iPhone.  Anyways, Stan Jefferson was a first round draft pick by the Mets in 1983 and played for the Padres from '87 to '88.  He was a career .216 hitter, but had some speed, as he stole 34 bases for San Diego in '87, the only year he played in more than 100 games.

Randy Jones is a "Mount Rushmore" Padre, in my opinion (along with Nate Colbert, Trevor Hoffman, and Tony Gwynn, in case you were wondering).  Jones was a two time 20 game winner for the Padres in the 70's, and this is the oldest card in Section J, from the year he won the Cy Young award.  He is still with the Padres as a special assistant to the pitchers, and is probably most famous for Randy Jones BBQ, which is sold near the Park In The Park on the main concourse.  Seemingly every Padre fan has met Jones, and my best memory of him was going to his baseball camp at Poway High when I was in middle school.  Great, great guy.

Wally Joyner used to be one of my "Player Collection" guys, but it turns out that I'm way more interested in his cards as a Friar than during his days with the Angels (or Royals, or Braves), so I bumped him off.  Didn't want to be hoarding all those Angels cards, since there are a few fans of them in the blogosphere.  Still, Wally was one of my favorite Padres during his time in San Diego, and helped them get to the World Series in '98 (though he was 0 for 8 once they got there).  That he a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) like me was very cool when I was a kid.  I guess it's still cool now, not a ton of them out there (Dale Murphy, Harmon Killebrew, Jeremy Guthrie, and Matt Lindstrom are a few others).

Anyways, I saw this on twitter on my lunch break, so I guess it's almost baseball season:

No comments:

Post a Comment