A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Dream of the 90's


While working out a recent trade, a collector asked me what kinds of cards I was interested in.  The easy answer is Padres, but there are lots of different types of cards to collect.  Am I looking for vintage cards?  High end autos?  The latest and greatest sets?

My answer, however, was Padre cards from the 90's.

This answer surprised the guy, because, well, I guess it probably would surprise a lot of people.  Cards from the most overproduced era in card history?  Where is the value in that?

For me, I guess it comes down to the players.  They're the guys I grew up with.  It's hard impossible for me to say that there is a player in today's game that I "idolize".  In most cases, I'm as old or older than most of today's stars.  Admiring is one thing - I admire Chris Denorfia, and he is one of my all-time favorite Padres.  But do I idolize him the way I did Steve Finley?  Not a chance.

Of course, a lot of that has to do with one's age.  When I was a kid, catching for my Little League and Pony League teams, I thought I might have a chance to make it to the pros.  Maybe not all the way to the majors, but at least a Low-A affiliate like the Idaho Falls Braves, like Ben Davis here.  The closest I ever got to playing in Idaho Falls was going to school in Rexburg, Idaho, about a half an hour away from Idaho Falls.

Another thing that I love about Padres cards from the 90's are the uniforms.  I guess most teams don't have the same dilemma that Padres fans have.  The Yankees, Cardinals, Dodgers, Giants, Red Sox, etc. haven't had the plethora of costume changes like the Friars have.  I'm not a big fan of the current incarnation of Padres unis, and while I prefer the brown from the 70's and 80's, I also like the blue and orange from the 90's.  It's what I grew up with.  The photography in Topps Stadium Club really makes it look sharp.

When it comes down to it, I already have a lot of the other stuff.  If I kept it all (instead of shipping it to other bloggers or giving it away to my students), I'd be up to my ears in stuff from the last four years or so.  I also already have team sets from most of the first few years of the team's existence.  But the 90's?  SO many brands, so many cards that I don't have yet.  I have 36 Joey Hamilton cards in my collection.  I have to think that that's more than most other collectors, besides Padrographs.  And I know that there are way more out there as well.

Anyways, all of these cards were sent to me from AJ, The Lost Collector.  Not all of them were from the 90's, including this Kevin Kouzmanoff card.  Looks like he's flashing the horns as he's moving to his left to make a play.  Rock on Kevin!  And rock on AJ!

Thanks for the great 90's cards.  My dream of piles of 90's cards is alive and well.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the '90s vintage (will that actually be a thing one day?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cards are only "worthless" if you are trying to make a profit. I'm sure I would have gotten the same response from that guy if I asked him if he had any '90 Donruss or '92 O-Pee-Chee Premier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see another guy who appreciates 90's cardboard... although I must admit... I typically stick to the inserts and parallels. Go Padres!

    ReplyDelete