A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

C2OD14: Golf

Here is today's installment of my Countdown to Opening Day 2014.  Each countdown post will feature a section of my Miscellaneous Padres binders.  Separate from my Team Set binder, Rad binder, Tony Gwynn binder, and Player Collection binder, are a pair of binders that hold all the rest of my beloved Padres.  I think they're awesome.

I'm currently listening to the tail end of the Padres/White Sox spring training game, and it sounds like things are going well for the good guys.  Andrew Cashner hasn't given up an earned run yet this ST, and Nick Hundley and Cody Decker have both homered.  Can't complain about that.

On a side note, I'm considering changing the title of these posts.  "Countdown to Opening Day 2014 seemed a little wordy, so I shortened it down to C2OD14, but I'm not sure how intriguing that reads to most people.  I'd like to have the posts be titled the same, so if somebody has a better name for the series of "random Padre cards by alphabet until Opening Day", please make it be known in the comments


G:
Oscar Gamble – 2
Jeff Gardner – 5
Jon Garland – 1
Steve Garvey – 12
Clarence Gaston – 2
Jody Gerut – 1
Brian Giles – 1
Marcus Giles – 2
Chris Gomez – 6
Preston Gomez – 1
Adrian Gonzalez - 22
Edgar Gonzalez – 1
Wiki Gonzalez – 1
Goose Gossage – 8
Mark Grant – 4
Khalil Greene - 47
Luke Gregerson – 3
Ricky Gutierrez – 2
Jesus Guzman – 2
Tony Gwynn Jr. – 6
Jedd Gyorko – 12

Total cards - 141
Total players - 21
Most - Khalil Greene (47)
Least - 6 are tied (1)
Oldest - Clarence Gaston (1972 Topps)

Hey!  A few days earlier and I could've featured Oscar Gamble on Oscar night!  I'm so original!  I really like the name Oscar, but have never met anybody named Oscar.  Well, I actually knew a Hispanic guy named Oscar, but it wasn't pronounced the same (in English, pronunciation would be "Ah-sker", while in Spanish it sounds like "Oh-skar").  Anyways, yeah, Oscar's are cool - Awards, grouches who live in trash cans, or that one guy from The Office who was also in Reno 911.

There are three things that I really like about this card. 1) Oh, those nostalgic early 90's Padres uniforms.  2) If you're going to have a "parallel" set, having the foil signature on it is a pretty cool idea. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing it again, but don't see it happening.  3) Blurry cameo by Padres first baseman Fred McGriff!  The Crime Dog!  

I'm not crazy about all the colors that Score went with for their borders in their first few years.  I'm not sure that this Steve Garvey card would've made the cut for the Miscellaneous Padres binder if I hadn't known that it was Garvey's "sunset card" - the last card of his that was produced before he retired.  For that, it gets in.  

I wonder when Clarence Gaston decided to go by "Cito"?  Maybe that's what everybody called him colloquially, but it was still Clarence on his baseball cards.  Maybe you can't call a manger a name like Clarence, so he went by Cito once he stopped playing.  I also wonder when players started using batting gloves.  Can't say that I remember seeing them in many of the other cards from the '72 set that I have.

Marcus' brother Brian is the more famous of the Giles brothers, at least as it pertains to "Padre-ness", but I've always liked Marcus more.  I think it might be because there aren't a lot of Marcus' in baseball, and that is a pretty awesome name.  I'm also not sure exactly what's happening here, but it seems like he's tipping his cap to someone, which is a unique shot.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should just type the phrase "If loving Chris Gomez is wrong, I don't want to be right" beneath any card of Gomez.  I'm pretty sure my dad said that about Gomez every time we saw him play.

I want to hate Adrian Gonzalez.  I want to say that he couldn't help getting traded to Boston, and then LA, becoming a division rival.  But he obviously wanted to get paid and the Padres couldn't get the Tony Gwynn discount with him, so he left.  Knowing that he has said that he "bleeds Dodger blue" is physically painful, but cards like this help ease the pain.  If there is a more beautiful card that features Petco Park, I have not seen it.

Man, after having a few posts with only a few cards, I'm really going for it with the "G's".  Wiki Gonzalez is pretty much only on here because I know of no other… anything by the name of Wiki.  Besides Wikipedia.  High five, Wiki.

GOOSE!  If I was not a baseball fan, then the name "Goose" would only make me think of Top Gun, one of the greatest movies to ever be made.  If only the Padres had a catcher named Maverick… Anyways, this is a pretty sweet card.  1) It has Goose.  2) Goose has some rad facial hair.  3) Uh, this is a "Limited Edition" card, so it's probably worth at least $100, right?  4) Oh sweet lord, those '84 Padres uniforms.  Love.

Mark Grant follows me on twitter.  I'm not sure why, and I'm also pretty positive that it doesn't really matter, it's not like we're friends or anything.  But I guess that's cool, and Mark Grant does do the TV play by play for the Padres.  I feel like if Elmer Fudd were a real person, he might look like Mark Grant.

It may be hard to actually see this card, since it is probably the most camouflaged card in the history of cards, but there is a card there.  The little man in the blue hat is probably Dodgres manager Don Mattingly.  Jesus Guzman, pictured, will probably never don the digital camo now that he's a Houston Astro, courtesy of an offseason trade.  I only have a few of the camo cards from last year's Topps set, but I love these with those military tribute uniforms.

Last but not least, a Gwynn card!  No, not of the Hall of Fame variety, those have their own binder, now that the total has passed the 430 mark.  Nope, this is Tony Gwynn Jr., back during his Padres days.  He came up in the Brewers org, and after leaving SD went to LA.  Currently, I believe that he's in the Phillies organization, and is even wearing #19 to honor his dad, something he had previously shied away from (understandably).  Don't have too many cards of little Gwynn, but I like this one the  most, a play at the plate with the umpire in the foreground on what looks like a rather painful dive.

All right, done with the G's!  It's only he seventh letter, but the Miscellaneous Padres binder part 1 ends with the letter "I".  From a quantity perspective, we're almost halfway there.  Post wise, that probably is not accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment