A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, March 3, 2014

C2OD14: Foxtrot

Here is today's installment of my Countdown to Opening Day 2014.  Each countdown post will feature a section of my Miscellaneous Padres binders.  Separate from my Team Set binder, Rad binder, Tony Gwynn binder, and Player Collection binder, are a pair of binders that hold all the rest of my beloved Padres.  I think they're awesome.


F is for "freezing".  Or "frigid".  Or "frozen".

It is also for "field trip", which my class is supposed to be going on today.  Nothing really fancy, just a trip to the planetarium and then having lunch by a duck pond.  Well, I mean, that's what was supposed to happen today.  As I write this on Sunday night, it is 23 degrees.  It's not supposed to snow tomorrow, but when we left church on Sunday, our car was almost iced shut.  If that happens in the morning, I wouldn't be surprised if they delayed school, since central Texas is apparently not capable of surviving temperatures below 30.

So, perhaps when you read this, I'll be loading my 21 first graders onto a school bus, along with five other classes, getting ready to learn about… well, something (I didn't plan this trip, I don't really know what's happening), or maybe school will not even have started yet.  If that happens, I'm not sure what's going to happen with the trip.

Anyways, on to the "F's".  Maybe we'll see some "fancy" ones with lots of "foil".

Ok, sorry, enough.  Forget about it.

F:
Omar Falcon – 1
Paul Faries – 6
Darcy Fast – 1
Tony Fernandez – 6
Al Ferrara – 1
Robert Fick – 1
Rollie Fingers – 10
Tim Flannery – 15
Bryce Florie – 1
Cliff Floyd – 3
Logan Forsythe – 1
Alan Foster – 1

Ernesto Frieri – 2

Total cards - 49
Total players - 13
Most - Tim Flannery (15)
Least - 7 are tied (1)
Oldest - 1972 Rookie Stars (1972 Topps)

I'm starting to think that if you have an awesome name, the chances of you having success in MLB are slim.  Omar Falcon is an awesome name, but he never made it to the bigs.  Good luck to guys like Rock Shoulders and Maxx Tissenbaum.  He was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2000 draft, a round before guys like Cliff Lee and Yadier Molina.  Go figure.

I gave a lot of love to this card in the "Top 50 Padre Cards of the 90's" countdown that I did last fall.  I ranked it very high at #5.  Easily the most no-name player in the top 20, and maybe even the most no-name player on the whole list.  But I love the shot of a leaping Faries (wait, did I just type something about leaping fairies?) in a spring training game.  Very graceful looking for a guy who played in less than 100 major league games.

Here is the back of Tony Fernandez' '92 Triple Play card.  The picture on the front is alright, but it's the trivia on the back that earned it's spot on the blog today.  And this is also how it's facing in the binder - backwards.  Lots of people who aren't into baseball always give me a funny look when I say that my favorite team is the Padres.  A Padre?  What is that?  If they had this card, they would know that it is a Franciscan missionary, like the ones who were early settlers in Southern California over 400 years ago. Philistines.

We'll end with hands down the best player in Section F of the Miscellaneous Padres binder: Hall of Famer Rollie Fingers.  This makes back to back days with Rollie cards, and there are no complaints from me about it.  I think that this is the card that I have that best showcases Rollie's signature mustache.  Coupled with the killer brown and yellow, and this makes for a great card.

Thanks for reading down this far!  I decided to do away with the daily countdown to Opening Day, since there are, like, three different "first games" of the season, and I kept counting down to a different one.  Make up your mind MLB!

No comments:

Post a Comment