A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Bump

In building the yellow Padres team set from this year, I came across a seller who had four of the cards I needed, and I jumped on them all for the combined shipping.  Since I was already buying, I checked out what other cards he had listed, and found two of the '89 minis from this year's flagship as well, for less than a buck each.

I like these cards enough, but seriously, what's with that tiny bump at the bottom of the die-cut cards?  It looks kinda like a pimple or a zit.  I get that since it's a die-cut, there are some things that might be a little "off" about it, but if you're not going to be able to make it look right, why attempt it?

It's not really a big deal or anything, just something that puzzles me.  Here is Raines original '89 card.  When I think of '89 Topps, Raines' is one that sticks out in my mind.  Some of that is due to the powder blue Expos jerseys, which I love, but most of it is because he is listed as "Rock" here instead of Tim.

Notice the lack of the hanging zit at the bottom of the card.

I've read mixed opinions on these mini cards, and I'm on the fence about them as well.  Won't be trying to chase this set at all (still trying to get the '71 Update minis from last year), but I think that '89 had a solid enough design - nothing flashy, but I like the use of team colors in the border, and it smooth enough overall.

Man, I feel kinda crabby.  Wish it was already baseball season.  Don't get me wrong, Spring Training is great, but since I won't be going, I kinda wish it was already over.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on grabbing that Gwynn... just another card I need to add to my Gwynn wantlist. I probably was entertained the first time I saw Topps use "Rock" instead of "Tim", but it got old quick. I'm glad they came to their senses in 1993.

    ReplyDelete