A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, February 10, 2014

It Is Monday

There are so many times when I think to myself, "Hey self, today you will have time to do some quality blogging."  So many of those times, I am not able to do any blogging at all.  Other times, I have time to blog, but it is not quality.

Today is one of those days.

Here is a quick shot of the most recent cards make an appearance in my mailbox...

The Andrew Cashner card is shiny, the XFractor from 2011 Topps.  Rookie card for a dollar!  On the opposite side, we have an emerald Matt Lindstrom, rocking the retro uniform.  That came to me via Thorzul, for some junk I sent him a few months ago.  Man, that looks good.  In the middle is a card that came my way from Duff over at Bleedin' Brown and Gold.  It is of a Padre who is not wearing brown or gold, and actually was playing for the Red Sox at the time the card was made.  It came in an envelope with a Christmas card, which I thought was weird, since it's February.  I looked at the date and saw that it was postmarked December 16th!  That's crazy!  I've never heard of an envelope taking a month and a half to get to it's destination.

Anyways, one thing that I was able to do this weekend was go to Round Rock, about 45 minutes south of us.  We just got back our tax return, and it was a pretty hefty one, so my wife went down to pick up some goods, and the rest of the family tagged along.  Pretty boring stuff, until the very end, when we made it to…

IN-N-OUT!!!

They've had In-N-Out in the DFW area for a while now, but only recently has it made it down to central Texas.  We've driven past it a few times, but the line was always ridiculously long.  We're talking over 40 cars.  But it's been there for a few months now, so the wait was like a regular In-N-Out, and let me tell you, it was wonderful.  If I hadn't devoured it so fast, I would've taken pictures.  Even now, my mouth is watering.

Oh, another thing I did this weekend was decide the theme for my countdown to Opening Day.  Last year, I tried to do a feature on each team, using the cards that I had in my collection.  While I really liked most of those posts, they were hard to do and took a really long time.  I didn't even finish all 30 teams and have no idea where I left off.

This year, I've decided to stick with what I know and what I do best: Padre cards.

For each post in the series, leading up to Opening Day, I'll be featuring a selection of cards from my Miscellaneous Padres binders.  They are all organized alphabetically, so I'll be starting with "A" and working my way back to "Y" (there are no "Z"'s in the MP binders - or U's or X's, for that matter).  I'm excited, and already have a lot of the stuff written up for each one, just gotta add the cheesy commentary and upload the photos and I'll be good to go.

Anyways, I'll leave you with a screenshot of something that I did that made me laugh this weekend.  If you're not aware, the MLB Network has a bracket-style challenge going on right now, where fans can send tweets (it's a twitter thing, Mom) voting for who should be the #FaceOfMLB.  Chase Headley was the Padres representative, which was lame, and he got booted in the first round.



I actually like Paul Goldschmidt, he's a great player and seems like a great guy.  You could do a whole lot worse than voting for him.  But I hate watching him rake against the Padres.

And Gonzo's right.

4 comments:

  1. You can't really be surprised about Headley losing to Derek Jeter. I thought you learned in 1998 that a Padre can't beat a Yankee. Heehee sorry about that, but it was right there. To be honest I am happy that Goldschmidt moved on to the next round because he beat Mike Trout. Go Tulo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHH, a dig at the greatest Padre team of all time! That's okay, the scabs have healed, I can take it. I was mostly thinking it was lame that Headley was considered the "face of the team" at all. The A's picked Eric Sogard, a fan favorite who is not nearly as talented as other guys on the team. I would've gone with Jedd Gyorko or Andrew Cashner or Chris Denorfia before going with Headley. I think Goldy is a great player and I would probably vote for him over most other players. I just don't like the rest of the team he plays for.

      Delete
  2. Glad you finally got an In-N-Out. I was stoked when we finally got one close to us here in DFW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny about your Christmas card. I sent yours the same time as I sent the ornament to your kids. Everyone else got theirs on time, but its funny how this one took so long to get to you. In either case, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete