A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, February 27, 2014

C2OD14: Echo

Here is today's installment of my Countdown to Opening Day 2014.  Each countdown post will feature a section of my Miscellaneous Padres binders.  Separate from my Team Set binder, Rad binder, Tony Gwynn binder, and Player Collection binder, are a pair of binders that hold all the rest of my beloved Padres.  I think they're awesome.


E:
Adam Eaton – 1
David Eckstein – 5
Dave Edwards - 1
Juan Eichelberger – 5
Michael Ekstrom – 1
Donnie Elliott – 1
Todd Erdos – 1
Robbie Erlin – 1

Total cards - 16
Total players - 8
Most - Juan Eichelberger & David Eckstein (5)
Least - 5 are tied (1)
Oldest - Juan Eichelberger (1981 Topps)

Today is the Padres first spring training game!  I've been working all day, and now that I finally had time to check the progress of the game, the Padres are down 6-0, and they've only managed 4 hits.  Obviously, this is just spring training, so I'm not worried about anything, but it doesn't excite me about anything either.

Anyways, I suppose the important thing is that baseball is back, so let's get a move on with the alphabetical countdown.  It's a short one today, since there aren't a lot of cards that I'm a big fan of that start with "E" in the Miscellaneous Padres binder.  I mean they're all good, but these are the two most noteworthy

I'm not a big fan of Gypsy Queen, and the fact that there is a subset called "Sticky Fingers" kind of confuses me.  Maybe if it was a football set about wide receivers who always caught the ball, it'd make more sense.  Still, how can you not be a fan of David Eckstein?  Like the honeycomb background, along with a good action shot of Eck.

If you're familiar with the term used to describe the "sideburns connecting to a mustache" style of facial hair, please let me know in the comments.  While it's not a look that I'd be able to pull off with any success, Juan Eichelberger looks pretty bad ass.  I think my cousin Nathan takes/took pitching lessons from him at one point.  Either that, or it's a different Juan Eichelberger.  Man, I love those old Padres uniforms, but the design for the '81 Topps set is not a favorite of mine.

Like I said, short post today, but wait until we get to "H".  If you've checked the updated tabs on the left of the blog, I've added a "Misc. Padres" tab, which is a Google Drive spreadsheet of all the players in the Miscellaneous Padres binders.  Nothing too fancy like each and every card (ain't nobody got time for that), but just a list of the names of the players and the number of cards they have.

Speaking of E's, the Padres/Mariners game is finally in the books, and the Padres had 4 errors to go along with a 7-1 loss.  The Padres schedule says that it was a "charity game", and it seems like all proceeds went towards the Mariners' hitters batting averages.

2 comments:

  1. Another lost season, if you ask me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always called that "chopstache", but I'm not sure what the actual term is.

    ReplyDelete