A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Friday, February 21, 2014

C2OD14: Delta

Here is today's installment of my Countdown to Opening Day 2014.  Each countdown post will feature a section of my Miscellaneous Padres binders.  Separate from my Team Set binder, Rad binder, Tony Gwynn binder, and Player Collection binder, are a pair of binders that hold all the rest of my beloved Padres.  I think they're awesome.

I woke up feeling sick, then got ready for work feeling sick.  I got to work still feeling sick, then got everything ready for my class and left (thank you Mrs. B, who will never read this).  I am now at home.  Feeling sick.

The culprit is most likely the subject of ridicule of my last post: the new Chick-fil-A in town.  My wife was craving some yesterday, and being a great husband, I took the kids and brought some back home.  I also had a conversation before I left work yesterday with a co-worker that I hadn't missed a day of work this year, and that the only time that I had ever been sick as a teacher was from food poisoning.

I suppose I was asking for all of this.  Karma strikes again.

Anyways, I have these all queued up, so let's get a day closer to Opening Day.


D:
James Darnell – 3
Ben Davis – 8
Bob Davis – 1
Mark Davis – 7
Willie Davis – 1
Jaff Decker – 1
Kory DeHaan – 2
Luis DeLeon – 1
Chris Denorfia – 1
Dave Dravecky – 2
Luis Durango – 3

Total cards - 30
Total players - 11
Most - Ben Davis (8)
Least - 5 are tied (1)
Oldest - Bob Davis & Willie Davis (1976 Topps)

Here's a patriotic card to begin the post.  Maybe if I had posted this earlier in the day, the USA hockey team might've fared a little better against Canada.  I do not care about hockey, or the Olympics, for that matter.  But I do like this card.  James Darnell has some great cards, for a guy who only got 62 ABs in his career (all with the Padres).  Might've been a good player for them, but was injured too often to make any impact.

Here is why I will never be a guy that freaks out about the next "hot prospect".  Ben Davis was "it" back in the late 90's.  While I can't complain about awesome cartoon superhero cards like this one (seriously, I think they modeled Clark Kent's chin after Ben Davis'), it gives me pause when I get really excited about current Padres prospects.  Austin Hedges has all the markings of being the next great catching prospect.  Nothing could possibly go wrong.  Right?

In the pantheon of Padres Cy Young winners, Mark Davis is probably a guy that gets overlooked.  Not that it's a large pantheon by any stretch.  I'm actually not sure if I'm using the word "pantheon" correctly.  But I do know that of the four Padres to win the award, he is the only relief pitcher to have done so, notching 44 saves with a 1.85 ERA in 1989.  He would sign with the Royals in the offseason, but return to San Diego in '93 and finish his career in '94.

There is only one Chris Denorfia card in the Miscellaneous Padres binder because my other cards of him are in other places.  He has cards in the Team Set binder, of course, and also has a couple of "rainbow" pages in the Rad binder.  But this one doesn't fall into any of those categories, and it'd be weird to keep this lone card in the Player Collection binder, so he falls into the MP binder.  Always a happy surprise to flip to this card and see a raging Deno charging around third base.

When I lived in Chicago, I was surprised by all the people who had the word "Durango" plastered across their back truck window, even if it wasn't a Dodge.  Then I found out that "Durango" wasn't just a model of truck, but it was also a state in Mexico, and those truck owners were just showing state pride.  Even though Luis wasn't born in Mexico (actually born in Panama), I always think about Durango, MX, when I see his cards.  He actually batted .305 for the Padres (though a small sample size: 18 for 59 in 37 games), but was more known for his speed (7 for 8 in stealing attempts).  All of the cards I have of him show him either bunting or on the base paths.

Alright, I'm feeling better already.

Ok, that's a lie.  I still feel sick.

Countdown Until Opening Day: 39 days

No comments:

Post a Comment