A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, February 20, 2014

C2OD14: Charlie

Here is today's installment of my Countdown to Opening Day 2014.  Each countdown post will feature a section of my Miscellaneous Padres binders.  Separate from my Team Set binder, Rad binder, Tony Gwynn binder, and Player Collection binder, are a pair of binders that hold all the rest of my beloved Padres.  I think they're awesome.

Been spreading the C2OD14 posts a little farther apart than originally planned, but sweet Andrew Cashner cards and children's birthdays will do that, I guess.

Before getting to the important stuff, I pose a question to the readership (both of you!): What is something that you would camp out overnight for?

If your answer includes a meal a week for a year from Chick-fil-A, then you shoulda been in my town yesterday afternoon, where the first 100 people to order for the grand opening get… that thing that I just wrote.  I don't know what time CfA opens this morning, or what is going to happen to the Tent City outside of it, but I hope it's worth it to them.  Oh to be unemployed with nothing better to do…

I like Chick-fil-A, don't get me wrong, but would I wait outside overnight for it?  Not a chance.

Anyways, onto the baseball players in Section C...


C:
Everth Cabrera – 5
Mike Cameron – 6
Ken Caminiti – 29
Chris Cannizzaro – 1
Raul Casanova – 1
Andrew Cashner – 2
Joe Carter – 5
Vinny Castilla – 1
Andujar Cedeño – 1
Mike Champion – 1
Floyd Chiffer – 1
Jack Clark – 1
Jerald Clark – 10
Matt Clement – 3
Nate Colbert – 4
Scott Coolbaugh – 1
Kevin Correia – 1
Will Cunnane – 2
Aaron Cunningham – 1
John Curtis – 1

Total cards - 77
Total players - 20
Most - Ken Caminiti (29)
Least - 11 are tied (1)
Oldest - Chris Cannizzaro (1970 Topps)

Last year, two players on the Padres were suspended for PED use.  One was Yasmani Grandal, who returned after the first 50 games and got injured for the rest of the season a month later.  The other was the Padres lone All-Star representative, Everth Cabrera.  While I am not one to root for cheaters, especially in today's game, Cabrera's apology to the fans seemed a lot more genuine than Grandal's.  For that, I remain optimistic about Cabrera's return to the Padres, while I am counting down the games until Austin Hedges is ready for the bigs and I don't have to think about Grandal (or any of the weak options the Padres have at catcher, for that matter).

Ug.  Long paragraph.  I don't have a lot of Cabrera cards, but this is easily the best one, as it 1) shows a smooth double play, 2) has beautiful Petco Park in the background, and 3) mentions that the Padres beat the Dodgers.  Good recipe.

I have to think that when most fans think of Mike Cameron, they think of his horrendous injury that might've ended his career (shown here at the 3:00 mark, if you've got the stomach for it) in 2005.  However, he rebounded the next year with the Padres and won the third and final Gold Glove of his career.  That it was commemorated with this awesome catch at the wall is very fitting.

Ken Caminiti will go down as one of the most infamous players in Padres history.  Well, maybe "infamous" isn't fitting, but "controversial" sounds too.. well, controversial.  Truth is, he was a key piece to the great Padres teams in '96 and '98, and was the first Padre to ever win the MVP award.  However, his legacy is tainted by steroid use and he took his own life three years after retiring from the game.  I've made peace with Caminiti's role in Padres history and choose to look at the positive things he did for the team and for the city.  RIP Cammy.

Normally, the Miscellaneous Padres binders are a spot where you'll see lots of no-name guys.  But so far, we're on a roll with four Padres all stars in a row!  That's right, Chris Cannizzaro was the Padres' very first representative to the All-Star Game in 1969.  Checking out his baseball-ref page, he was third in the league in runners caught stealing (41) in that year.  Unfortunately, he also was third in the league in stolen bases allowed (58) and passed balls (14).  Such is the life of a catcher on an inaugural team.  Chris should've known what to expect, as he was also an original member of the Mets in 1962.

And the All-Star streak is broken.  I mean, Joe Carter was an All-Star, but not for the Padres.  I have a few good Carter cards, but I especially love the "Smokey The Bear Autograph Day" screen in the background on this one.  The use of brown in the border on the Padres cards in the '90 Fleer set looks good as well.

The Padres have been short on power hitters in their (comparatively) young history.  Case in point: Nate Colbert had 163 in during his six years in San Diego, and that is enough to lead the franchise.  Adrian Gonzalez is close (161) and Phil Nevin is right behind him (156), but Nate has been the club leader… well, basically since the beginning.  Colbert was an original Padre, drafted from Houston.  Don't have many Colbert cards, but this is easily the best one.  Love the Kellogg's 3D cards.

I have little memory of Will Cunnane, or very many other late 90's middle relief guys for that matter.  Then why did he make it into a binder?  Because I make a point of keeping cards that have battleships as backdrops.  Doesn't everybody?

This is Aaron Cunningham's only Padre card.  Ever.  Well, unless he comes back to the Padres via trade or free agency, which is highly unlikely.  Cunningham barely played 100 games in his two seasons with the Padres and batted below .250, but I remember liking his hustle and attitude towards the game.  He's the last guy in the Section C, and while the card is not great, that i's one of those gritty underdog types is good. 

Alright!  Three down, a bunch more to go!  I'll start churning these out a little faster as Opening Day approaches.

Countdown to Opening Day: 40 days

2 comments:

  1. I can't think of anything I would camp out for, mostly because I slept in a tent once and it was the most miserable night of my life. A lot of people around here camp out for new sneakers, like new Jordans or LeBrons. To each his own, but I literally can't think of one thing I'd camp out for.

    ReplyDelete