A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

C2OD14: Alpha

Here is today's installment of my Countdown to Opening Day 2014.  Each countdown post will feature a section of my Miscellaneous Padres binders.  Separate from my Team Set binder, Rad binder, Tony Gwynn binder, and Player Collection binder, are a pair of binders that hold all the rest of my beloved Padres.  I think they're awesome.

Alright!  Like I mentioned yesterday, I'll be tackling my Miscellaneous Padres binder a letter at a time.  Today, we'll be kicking off the inaugural post, brought to you by the letter A.  Here is the list of all the Padres in the MP binder with a last name that starts with A.

A:
Shawn Abner – 3
Ed Acosta – 1
Mike Adams – 1
Bill Almon – 1
Roberto Alomar – 8
Sandy Alomar Jr. – 2
Yonder Alonso – 22
Matty Alou – 1
Randy Asadoor – 1
Andy Ashby – 7
Tucker Ashford – 1
Brad Ausmus – 2
Oscar Azocar – 1

Total cards - 51
Total players - 13
Most - Yonder Alonso (22)
Least - Seven are tied (1)
Oldest - Ed Acosta (1972 Topps)

This is the first card of the binder!  Probably the thing that stands out the most to me about Shawn Abner is his name.  When listing Padres alphabetically, he has been the first guy on the list since 1987, when he made his MLB debut with the Padres.  One theme you may notice is that I like collecting Padre cards that mention that they are rookies.  More often than not, they are guys who didn't really do very much, either in their career or just for the Padres.  Abner would fall into both categories, but in the Miscellaneous Padres binder, he gets his due.

Here we have the oldest card in the "A" section.  I won't always be showing the oldest card, as I don't want to be too "set in my ways" about which cards I choose for the countdown.  However, the oldest ones are usually the coolest ones as well, so you'll be seeing most of them.  I've said it before, the '72 Topps set is growing on me.  I mean, how did they find that color in the border to match those early 70's Padre hats?

Here's another example of rookie card-type recognition.  Bill Almon actually debuted for the Padres in 1974, the same year he was drafted, and as far as I know, his first Topps card was in 1978.  For whatever reason, Topps decided to make mention of his draft status on his card in 1985, when he was no longer even playing for the Padres (he played for the Pirates that year).  Still, always a good reminder that the Padres are horrible at drafting players in the upper rounds, with the only exception being Dave Winfield.

I had to include the card that I ranked #24 on my list of the "Top 50 Padre Cards of the 90's".  I have a few pretty decent cards of Roberto Alomar's early days with the Padres, but this one is by far the best.  Right after him is is brother, Sandy Alomar Jr.   Sorry Sandy, only room for one Alomar today.

There are precious few current Padres in the Miscellaneous Padres binder.  I had a pretty strong Yonder Alonso PC going, but right now, but there are only a handful of cards of him as a Padre available, and I didn't want to go the "how many parallels of every card can I get of this player" route with him.  Yet.  I have a card that looks just like this one in the Team Set binder, but this happens to be the black backed Venezuelan parallel.  I guess you'll just have to trust me.

I try not to have more than one copy of a card in my binders.  I kinda made an exception for this one, since I have a mini-collection showing kids on baseball cards.  I have the one with the silver foil signature in the Rad binder, just the plain base card for the MP binder.  I wonder if this is Joey Hamilton's kid in the foreground, or if he's just waiting to sign the glove of this lucky young fan.  Either way, a pretty cool shot.

This is the only card that I have of Oscar Azocar.  I wonder how he would feel about that.  Is this how he would like to be remembered?  I'm not sure, but it seems like a good way to end the post - a tribute to someone who appeared to love baseball a little more than normal.



Countdown to Opening Day 2014: 48 days

1 comment: