A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Arriba Los Padres!

If you read a recent post by esteemed blogger Play At The Plate, you read that he thanked his lucky stars that he wasn't a Padres collector.  Not because they are a team with a losing history and have never won a World Series, had a pitcher throw a no-hitter, or had a batter hit for the cycle (ugh, did I really have to remind myself of all that?).  Rather, it was because he joined a group break, and in addition to having his beloved Rangers, he got the Padres as a random team.

To say that there was very little by way of "hits" would be a gross understatement.

This is one of the reasons why I rarely if ever join any group breaks.  Getting shutout of cards besides the base set is something that I don't need to worry myself with.

Especially when most of the "hard to get" cards are so cheaply available online.

Case in point: this Yonder Alonso bat relic.  While it would be considered a good pull out of a pack, I got this one for $2 shipped on eBay.  You can't even buy a pack of cards for that cheap, if you count tax.  While I'll admit that this isn't the greatest looking card (and this is the same photo used on Yonder's Bowman card from last year) I'm a sucker for bat relics.  And for such a cheap price tag, I had to pick it up.

Of all of the possible "hits" that I would ever get excited about with 2014 Topps, pulling one of the clear parallels would be at the top of the list.  They are numbered to 10 and are acetate.  Chances of me pulling one of these in a pack or from a group break: slim to none.  Not sure how many of these will turn up online, but when I saw this one, I immediately added it to my eBay watch list.  It went through a few short selling periods with no takers and a buy it now over the $20 mark - a price higher than any single card I've ever bought.  I finally contacted the seller and made him a fair offer, which he accepted.  Very cool of him (might've turned on the charm a little bit - but I like to think that there are lots of good people out there who just like to be nice.

Or, maybe like PATP, he just felt sorry for this poor Padres fan.

You know what?  I'm alright with it.  Pity cards accepted here.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta get me one of those acetates.. cool lookin' cards, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I see one of those memorabilia cards from this year's set, I think I'm looking at something straight out of 2002. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just weird.

    I need to get one of those clear cards.

    ReplyDelete