A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, January 27, 2014

Wood

Just a quick post for today.

Do you know what set I think is really boring looking?  1987 Topps.  For some reason, it seems like I keep seeing blogs that write about how great it is, but I just don't get it.  Maybe it's because they were collectors during that time, so there's a nostalgic quality to it.  Maybe people just like the look of wood.

Whatever it is, I don't get it.  '92 and '93 Topps are some of my all time favorites because that's when I got really interested in baseball cards, but I know that they're not great or iconic sets.  I just like 'em.

Anyways, here is a look at all of the 1987 Topps cards in my collection.

Can't go wrong with The Bipper.

I just like the look of McCullers' stirrups and the "RAK" on the sleeve.  Ray A Kroc saved baseball in San Diego, so I give him a pass for starting McDonalds.

These mustachioed pitchers have made their way into the "W" archives of my Miscellaneous Padres binder as well.  I don't know exactly why, but I just like Eddie Whitson.  Gene Walter is only here because of his mustache.

Can't go wrong with Padres catchers, so they're in as well.

Of course, every single Tony Gwynn card is assured a place in the collection.  I actually like the All-Star card, but the base card isn't anything great.

For a while, I thought that this Goose Gossage card was easily the best card of the Padres set.  Can't go wrong with the Goose, right?  

But the "Best Of" award goes to Benito Santiago's rookie card.  Easily one of the best Padre cards from the 80's.  It was included in the Traded set, as was the Gene Walter card.  While not a great shot of Benny, it's still the second best Padre rookie card of the 80s (behind somebody named Gwynn).

Anyways, speaking of wood, there's a band that I've been listening to for about a week straight called Red City Radio.  No baseball connection as far as I'm aware, but they're a punk rock band from Oklahoma City and they're pretty good, if you're into that kinda stuff.  Loud guitars, singer that sounds like he gargles thumbtacks.

This is a song called "The Sons and Daughter's of Woody Guthrie".  See?  Connection to the wood paneling of the '87 Topps set?  Too much of a stretch?  Whatever.

Here's another song if that first one wasn't enough for you.  I like it better, and the video deals with important issues like open mic nights and cannabalism.

Happy Monday.

6 comments:

  1. Gene Walter looks like he could be David Arquette's dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get the love for '87 Topps either -- like you say I think it's a key first set for bloggers of a certain age and the nostalgia factor is strong. But I think it goes pretty well with the Padres uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer '89 Topps to '87. Then again I also really like '95 Fleer, so don't listen to me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I'm one of the weirdos who love this set?

    I guess you could say I'm nostalgic about 1987 Topps, although I wouldn't be born until a decade had passed since the set's release. I do think it stands out nicely, especially when compared to the other Topps sets of the junk wax era (1986-1994).

    Also, "gargling thumbtacks." Well played, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously thought exactly what Once a Cub said before I clicked on the comments section and saw I'd been beaten to the punch!

    I am nostalgic since 87 and 88 was around the first sets I collected. But it's also cool that the design is different. Look at the Topps from 2009-2014. Nothing daring or all that different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I started collecting with 1986 Topps, I always consider it the end of an era set. It was the final card for a lot of 70s guys. I always look at 87 Topps as the beginning set of my generation. There are so many rookies in 87 Topps and that is what has made it beloved. Granted a lot of those rookies are tainted now, but they are and will always be big names to me. The weird thing about 87 Topps is that in 1987 it was always considered the #3 set of the year. Fleer was #1 and Donruss was #2 and Topps was a distant #3 at least in terms of the people I knew that collected. Topps was always #1 to me though.

    BTW, it's always good to see a Gene Walter card on your site. Before Christian Friedrich debuted in 2012, Gene Walter was the last Eastern Kentucky Colonel (my alma mater) to play in the big leagues.

    ReplyDelete