A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The "New Year" Post.

Alright, so my vacation to beautiful San Diego has back logged me a bit.  I was still able to keep up with most of the usual blogs I read, and have read plenty of "New Year's" posts.  You know the type, talking about what you planned on accomplishing in 2013 and what actually happened.  Then looking forward to what you want to get done in 2014.  Well, here's my list, albeit a week or so late.

Here are the goals that I set for myself in 2013:

1) Complete at least one vintage Padre team set; either 1969, 1971, or 1973

Totally nailed this one.  I completed the '71 and '73 team sets earlier in the year, and a Black Friday COMC purchase brought me the last two cards I needed from the '69 set.  Since they're all vintage sets, I didn't pick up any of the multi-player cards unless they were all Padres.  Some of those are super pricey, like John Hilton's rookie card from '73 (some guys named Ron Cey and Mike Schmidt are on it as well).  GRADE: A+


2) Keep updating the blog at least once a week.

Alright, so my first two goals weren't really that difficult.  Nailed this one as well, though I suppose I did take a week off from December 30th to January 6th.  Still, 315 posts for the year is a pretty good number.  GRADE: A+

3) Lose 30 pounds by the end of the year.

Already out of the "card" resolutions, now on to the personal stuff.  I suppose that technically, I did lose 30 pounds this year, if you count the pounds that I would lose and gain back and lose again.  But I really wanted to get down to 200, which would still be more than I'd like.  I started off the year at 230 (heaviest ever), and managed to get down to 208 in October, but finished off the year around 212.  Not a bad trend, but I didn't reach my goal (though I went down three notches on my belt).  GRADE: C-

4) Start and finish the New Testament and the Book of Mormon.

Though I don't usually have many religious themes on this blog, I am a Christian and my belief in Christ and His gospel has even more of an impact on my life than my baseball fandom does.  That said, I kinda jumped ship on this one.  Around August, I was asked to teach one of the Sunday School classes in my church, and I changed my scripture study from reading "front to back" to by topic, as I prepared for the week's lesson.  While this helped me grow and helped the people I taught, it didn't really gel with this resolution.  I still read a lot from both, but there were definitely parts that I read and re-read, and others that I didn't really get to.  GRADE: Incomplete

Alright, well, I guess I'm batting about .500 overall, though I did much better on the card-related goals than those "personal" goals.

On to my goals for 2014:

1) Complete a whole page of vintage Jerry Coleman cards.

In my last post, I penned my tribute to the Colonel, and this year, I'd like to fill a whole page with cards from Jerry's playing days.  I already have six, so I'm shooting for three more - a modest goal, but still a worthy one - I've pinned down all the cheap ones, some of the "big dogs" are left.  Condition is not an issue, as I am not a wealthy man and his cards are from the '50s.

Cards already in hand: '51 Bowman, '54 Bowman, '55 Bowman, '56 Topps, '57 Coleman.

Cards on the way: '52 Bowman (picked it up off eBay for five bucks a few days before he passed).

Cards still needed: '49 Bowman, '50 Bowman, '51 Berk Ross, '51 Topps Red Backs, '52 Topps


2) Complete all rainbows for Chris Denorfia's Padres cards.

I've heard rumors that there are teams that are interested in Chris Denorfia and that the Padres might shop him since they have an abundance of outfielders.  Seeing Deno in another uniform just seems criminal.  For the moment, however, I'm going to enjoy the fact that he's awesome and plays for the team I love.  I've already finished the '11 Topps rainbow (for the most part), and the remaining cards from '12 and '13 aren't hard to find, so I think I'm good here, just need to stay on top of it for 2014.


3) Get a TTM autograph.

This would require me to actually request an autograph through the mail, something that is pretty common practice for most bloggers, but something I've never done.  I've been hoarding doubles of Padres from this year's last year's Heritage set, which seem like good cards to have signed, and maybe I'll try out some of my old Padre heroes from the '90s as well.  Just need to finally do it.

4) Finally get down below 200 lbs.

Second time's a charm.  Right?

5) Go to a good show/concert this year.

I started going to concerts when I was 16, and music has been a huge part of my life since then.  The past few years have seen a increase of activity in card collecting and sports, and my interest in music has waned.  Still, to my dismay, I was unable to attend even a single show/concert in 2013.  That is ridiculous.  The last three shows I went to were: Cobra Skulls (summer '12), Leatherbag (Jan. '12) and Fun Fun Fun Fest (Spoon, Hot Snakes in Nov. '11).

I only live an hour and a half from Austin, which is where literally thousands of bands play.  Doesn't have to be a huge "concert", even if it's just a small show with a hundred people or so, I need to get out and rock out.


Alright, enough with the goals, here is a quick recap for the year:

* Padre of the Year - Andrew Cashner
* Padre Moment of the Year - Chris Denorfia walk off HR off Aroldis Chapman
* Album of the Year - Allez Allez by The Night Marchers
* Foster's achievement of the Year - walking
* Harper's achievement of the Year - pooping in the toilet, calling all baseball players "Padres"
* Blog achievement of the Year - Getting on the front page of Google when searching "Archi Cianfrocco"

Thanks to everybody who takes time out of their day to read this, I honestly didn't think that I'd still be writing, but it's fun.  Bring it on 2014!  Padres World Series Champs!

6 comments:

  1. I hope the Pads hang onto Deno... well, unless he goes to the Cubs, then I'm all in.
    Good luck on your 2014 goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chase Headley is a great TTM signer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems to be a great signer period. I've been to Spring Training twice and he's the only guy that I got signatures from both times around. Very quality guy. Of course, both times I forgot to bring any cards, so I had him sign a ball we bought from Walmart and there's a few other sigs on it as well.

      Delete
  3. I recently realized the awesomeness of Allez Allez too. Don't know why, but the Night Marchers never really clicked with me before. I'm hoping the RFTC reunion makes its way up to Portland so I can check them out. Haven't seen them since their "final show" years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice set of goals Marcus, especially your Christian faith ones. As for music, I'm a bit older, so the really nice shows I've seen this past year had to have been Little Feat (my second favorite band next to Pink Floyd), Joe Bonamassa (Blues) and Trombone Shorty (Blues/Jazz). In any case, here's to a great 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A local San Diego band called Sayvinyl (broken up a few years now) turned me on to a band called Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and on my Pandora station for them, Bonamassa shows up a few times. Good stuff. Thanks Duff, appreciate the comments!

      Delete