A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Día de Nieve


Even though I was raised in sunny San Diego, I was actually born in rainy Portland, Oregon.  I was a missionary for my church in Chicago for two winters.  My wife and I went to school in Idaho for four years, during which it happened to snow in July.  There were multiple times when I thought "It's below zero, how can people possibly live in this?"

There were many factors that led our little family to Texas, but one thing that appealed to us was getting away from the cold.  How cold can Texas possibly be?

Well, even though the summers are sweltering, it turns out that it can still get chilly in the winter.  Not nearly as cold or for as long as the aforementioned locations, but chilly nonetheless.


It even occasionally snows!  Friday was one of those days, and it was wonderful.  It started with light flurries on Thursday evening, which prompted a quick conclusion to a training seminar I went to.  On my way home, I saw no less than seven cars that had spun off the road or had been in some other accident.


My daughter Harper, who loves the movie Frozen, was ecstatic, and kept yelling "Thank you Elsa!"  She was adorable.  By magic, the snow was still there in the morning, and lasted until around 1:00 pm. Foster was a little less enthused, but managed to smile for a picture, so it was a win win.

Oh, "Día de Nieve" is Spanish for "Day of Snow".  I'm not sure if that's what they actually say when there is a "snow day", but it works for this Padres fan, and I'm able to use some photos of former horrible Padres outfielder Melvin Nieves.  School was first postponed and then cancelled.  My wife watches children during the day and since schools was cancelled, she had the day off as well.  We didn't really do a whole lot, but it was really fun to be with the kids (especially Harper) for it.  The last time it snowed was around this time in 2011, just before she was born (she has a mid-February birthday).

This one even looks like it has some brown ivy in the background, perfect for a winter post.

The craziest thing about it all is that the day before, it was 65 degrees, and it got even warmer than that on Saturday.  Texas weather, man.  If you don't like it, just wait around a while.

Except for the summer time.  Then it's hot all the time.  It never stops.

2 comments:

  1. Adorable kids! Kuddos to UD for the first shot even if it is staged. It looks like he's bracing himself against the black bar on the left. It's horrible here in the upper midwest. Just finished shoveling 4 inches of snow and the high winds are on the way to be followed by another sub-zero Arctic air mass. Oh, joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay safe! As I type this, I'm in the outside patio of a bar hanging out with my pup. Typically cold Portland January day, but at least the sun is out and it's not raining.

    ReplyDelete