A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Friday, January 17, 2014

Card Shop Spoils

Alright, this is the last post where I'll be mentioning the vacation to San Diego.  At least for a while.

As I've mentioned before, there are no card shops in my area of Central Texas.  I mean, there's one in Austin, but it's over an hour away, and usually when I go down there, I'm with the whole family.  Not the most conducive time to be card shopping.

So, when we visit San Diego, I try to get out and find a card shop.  There are a few in San Diego that I'd like to visit at some point, but time got short and I ended up settling on the same one that I've been to about a half dozen times before - it's only about a mile from my in-laws in Escondido.

It's pretty overpriced, as I imagine some card shops tend to be.  Kinda hard to justify the prices to a guy who's only interested in the Padres and not real big on "hobby hits".  Still, I can usually find something that fits my budget.  Here's what I was able to snag for less than ten dollars.

I first made a stop at the discount bin.  No singles here, but there were little bricks of cards wrapped in plastic.  All were arranged by set, so I chose a few of my favorite ones.  I first picked 1993 Topps, and the Jeff Kent and Rickey Henderson cards that were showing weren't too bad.  However, this was easily the best card of the brick.  I could do some research and find out who these people are and what they're doing on a baseball card (or just look on the back), but I kind of like to preserve the mystery and just say, "man, I really like this card".

Next up was a small brick of 1991 Studio.  Not a whole lot interesting here, but I did score a pair of Padres, something I wasn't expecting.  I figured that maybe the owner would've cleared out all of the Padres, since I'd imagine the majority of patrons would be Padre fans.  But I guess the market for 1991 Studio probably wasn't what it was 23 years ago.

While I'm not a huge fan of the "studio" look on the front, it's the backs of the Studio cards that interest me.  Among the interesting things I found, I learned that pretty much everybody in the early 90's loved Cheers.  Plus, it's fun to look at these cards next to each other and say, "Hmmm… Both of these guys are big league catchers, but one's hero is Arnold Schwarzenegger, and the other one's is Jesus Christ.  Hey, everybody's different.

Not seeing too much else that I liked, I also picked up a few packs of 1994 Topps Stadium Club.  I tossed most of these into the trade box, but these three made it into the binders.

This card would've broken my heart as a kid.  My two favorite players that were traded from the Padres.  Why don't you just rub salt into this open wound, Topps?!  For whatever reason, this card marked "Tale of 2 Players" doesn't even mention that they were teammates in San Diego.  Besides that, these guys have a few things in common:
  • Both players have more than 490 home runs.
  • Both players are in the top 100 MLB players in all-time hits.
  • They have 14 All-Star Game appearances between them.
  • Neither one will make the Hall of Fame, though perhaps Fred will get in via the Veterans committee.

I keep thinking that I must have every Tim Wakefield card from his Pirates day.  I keep being wrong.  Love this one.  I've always liked TSC, but the "extreme label maker" design is one that I will always love.

Here's an addition to the "orange line"collection!  While it's not quite a Padres card (though there is one  the background), it's still a pretty good shot of  Cardinals outfielder Bernard Gilkey.  I'm guessing the shortstop is either Craig Shipley or Kurt Stillwell.  Looks like the ump is calling him out.

Finally, some cards that I picked up from the "discount" bin.  The parenthesis are needed because the cheapest cards were still $2, but I'll take what I can get.  This Padres team card from '75 was a good pickup, especially considering that it was in San Diego and usually the hometown bump pushes those cards out of my price range.  Very solid looking team card.

Ah man, the photo turned out a little blurry on this one.  No matter, this Vida Blue card was the best of the $2 bunch.  As it has recently been featured on Night Owl's blog, and since I'm a huge sucker for the '71 design, this one made it back to back to Texas with me.  So much to love about this one that I won't even bother attempting to explain it all here.  This is a great card.

Not really a crazy pickup post or anything, but always good to add some solid cardboard into the binders.  Until next time, San Diego…

4 comments:

  1. I've wanted a copy of that '71 Vide Blue for a while now. I'd take that one for two bucks all day long. Nice finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in the early 90s I used to buy all of my higher end vintage (Mantle and the likes) from a card shop in San Diego via mail order. They sent me a catalog every quarter, and man did I love getting that. In fact 8 days before Mantle died, I had purchased a dozen different Mantle cards, and I was sweating getting them too. I stopped buying from them in 1999. I recently contacted them but they don't mail catalogs anymore, just online catalogs, way overpriced, and they also sell on Ebay. What's their name?...... Kit Young Cards

    ReplyDelete
  3. The card with the Russian players is indeed fascinating. The words on the front are actually English words written in Cyrillic script. At least I'm pretty sure. Phonetically it reads "Zhot Prospect". The first word would have no meaning in Russian and the second word is a rough translation of "avenue". Considering that I doubt there were many card collectors that could read Russian in 1993 I don't see why they didn't just say "Hot Prospect" in Russian, which would be "Горячая перспектива".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had that 75 team card set aside to send to you.

    ReplyDelete