A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Year of the ________

I came across a blog post over at Jaybarkerfan's Junk which posed this question: If you had to say that this (2013) was the year of the _________, what would you say?

Now, the answer would vary depending on the topic.  If it were my personal life, this was definitely the year of the Foz, since my son Foster will have completed a full year of destroying our house this Friday.  His most recent accomplishments have been walking, ripping the faceplates off of some electrical outlets, keeping me up at night, and being either adoringly cute or a terrifying monster 100% of the time.

If it were asking me about my professional life, this would be the year of the first graders.  I made a return from 5th grade to 1st grade this year, and it's been interesting to see how the change of assignment has completely changed my life.  The stresses are still there, but very different, and I'd have to say that I prefer it over 5th grade.

However, seeing how it is a card blog, I know that he was referencing our respective collecting habits.  For the card companies, it has been The Year of the Headley Card (he easily had the most cards produced of any Padre on the team, and possibly ever in a single year).  For me, however, it has been…

The Year of the Parallels.

Yesterday, I had two fat bubble mailers and three PWE's arrive at my house, which netted me a grand total of 31 new Padres to my collection, and a slew of other cards that made it into binders as well.  Here is the only one that wasn't from a blogging friend:

I've been slow on the uptake with last year's Chris Denorfia cards.  At the end of last year, the only card of his I had was the base card.  My most recent COMC purchase will net me some more, and I'll be well on my way to completing the '12 Denorfia rainbow.  Last year I was still focused on trying to finish the '11 Denorfia rainbow, something that I recently completed (post forthcoming, once the last card gets here).

While in the past, I kind of railed against the idea of collecting what is basically the same card with minor variations over and over again, when it's a guy like Chris Denorfia (who usually only has a card or two that comes out each year), I have less of a problem with it.  Don't need all of the pink or camo cards for guys like Dustin Moseley or Edinson Volquez, but if it's a card of My Man Denorfia and I don't have it, count me in.

I also put together a page of Chase Headley cards from this year's Heritage set, since there were a bunch of different parallels for him as well, and that is a post that I still need to write up as well.

Anyways, there's my two cents.  Now I've gotta drag myself to work to take care of the first graders.  Foster's been keeping me up all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment