A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, December 2, 2013

What's Old Is New

I spent most of the past week thinking that I had no cash in my wallet.  I normally just use my debit card wherever I go, so this wasn't a big deal.  However, after getting refunded a few bucks for a furnace filter that was the wrong size, I put the money into my wallet and realized that I actually did have a few bills!  Free money, right?

I know it's not, but it's still how you feel when you first find it "again".

Anyways, I was digging through my trade box last night and came across some cards that had been in there for a while, but that I had either been unaware of, or just flat out forgotten about.

First, I was scouring the box for some Heritage needs for a trade in progress and I realized that I had a bunch of Padres dupes from this year's Heritage set.  Normally I'd ship 'em off to some blogging buddies or to my brother Ammon, but I've been holding on to them because I have this idea that maybe I'll finally do my first "through the mail" autograph requests.  Hasn't happened yet, but the cards are ready.

And I came across this card.  I must've gotten it in a trade package long ago and only looked at the front and said, "Man, I already have like, four copies of Yonder Alonso's card," and tossed it into the trade box.  Stupid.  Seeing the cool "Venezuelan" black back made me think back to when Heritage first came out and I was way stoked on it.  I'm still a big fan, but have most of the ones I've been after.  Although I've backed off of being a huge Alonso collector, I was happy to find this one.  Whoever gave it to me, thanks a bunch.

A few moments later, I came across not one card, but a group of cards that I'm not sure what to do with...

I was doing some shopping at the Dollar Tree a few months ago and saw that they had some cheap repacks on sale.  As I flipped through them, I saw that My Man Chris Denorfia was staring at me from the front of one of the packs.  Without hesitation I grabbed it and headed to the line.  A dollar well spent.

Well, I already had that exact Denorfia card, but having it visible in an unopened pack seemed like it might be kinda cool to add to the collection.  But how do I store it?  It's been sitting in my trade box because that's where it fits - I can't very well stuff all six cards into a top loader or binder page.  In the long run, is having a cheap repack by some cheap company really worth the time?

It'll probably be there until I find something to do with it.  For what it's worth, the card on the back is of Ian Kinsler.

Anyways, a couple of cards that I got and forgot about, and then found 'em again.  Glad to see 'em again.

1 comment:

  1. It's always nice to find cool forgotten cards in the rubble like that. I've had that happen to me quite a few times.

    ReplyDelete