A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, December 30, 2013

The Best Card I Picked Up This Year

I hope that everyone who reads this blog enjoyed the multitude of Top 10 lists of card that came out this year.  I always enjoy a chance to make a good list.  Or even a mediocre list.

Anyways, when I was thinking of all of the awesome cards I've picked up this year, most the overwhelming majority of my favorites weren't from this year.  There was a bunch of vintage out there that I loved (completed Padres team sets from '69, '71, and '73), cool oddballs (Mother's Cookies from the '50s and '90s), and cards for all my Player Collections (Gwynn, McGriff, Finley, etc.).

However, when it comes down to it, this would have to be my favorite card that I picked up this year…

2011 Topps Chris Denorfia, Hope Diamond Parallel #/60
This is the ninth version of Chris Denorfia's 2011 Topps card that I've been able to get.  A whole page! If I was at home, I'd show all nine versions, but I'm still on vacation, and I didn't get a chance to take that photo before we left town.  However, In addition to this one, I also have:
  • Base card
  • Blue parallel (Wal-Mart)
  • Red parallel (Target)
  • Gold parallel
  • Cognac parallel
  • Diamond parallel
  • Black parallel  #/60
  • Hope Diamond parallel #/60
  • Printing Plate (magenta) 1/1
This was my favorite card from one of the sets that got me back into collecting.  Chris Denorfia is my favorite current player, and with the sweet throwback uniform and the solid design, this is a card that I really really like.  Even though the Hope Diamond parallel is only numbered to 60 (not a particularly low number), it's been hard to come across this one.  I think this is only the second one I've seen in the last year and a half.  Got it for a great price, a little over six bucks - or a little less than half what the other one I saw went for.

Anyways, yeah, of all the great trades and pickups, this one was my favorite.  Go Deno.  Go Padres.  

3 comments:

  1. That's a dandy. I love those Hope Diamond cards. Haven't been lucky enough to come across one yet, but it's on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, the old school Padres uniforms look great, and getting a Hope Diamond parallel with the mustard and brown colors looks even better. Great pickup!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Robert... those brown and yellow uniforms are awesome and makes this card that much better. Congratulations on adding this to you PC in 2013. Enjoy a safe New Year's Eve and have a great 2014.

    ReplyDelete