A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Still In San Diego

Alright, I'm still in San Diego, and have been busy doing San Diegan things with my San Diegan family.  I've got the last two posts of the year all wrapped up, but I still wanted to get a few loose ends taken care of before then.  Here are some quick bullet points, along with pictures.

A few Fridays ago, my first grade class and I had our class Christmas party.  It was a fun, extremely hectic day.  One thing that I wasted time doing was creating these little "sleds", made out of baseball card packs and candy canes.  

It wasn't all for naught, as this was by far the best year for gifts that I've had as a teacher.  The chihuahua with maracas was the class' favorite, but my favorite would easily have to be the Padres tie that one of my students got me.  I actually wore it to church on Christmas Sunday, but I haven't taken any pictures of it yet.  Anyways, the party was super hectic because I decided that making gingerbread houses out of graham crackers and candy would be a good idea.  While the kids did have fun, I forgot a few things and ended up having to be bailed out by the teacher across the hall, and had a couple of great parents help me figure everything out.

Here's the pictures with Santa that my kids got before we left Texas.  One of them was very excited about seeing Santa.  One was not.

With the absence of baseball in my life (other than Hot Stove updates via Twitter), I've been paying the slightest attention to basketball.  Normally, I wait until the playoffs to see how the Spurs or Mavericks are doing and root for them like a real Texan, but since Portland is currently sporting the best record in the NBA (24-5), I'm hopping back onto the Blazer bandwagon.  I hopped off it a few decades ago after Clyde Drexler went to the Rockets and Portland went through it's "Jail Blazer" phase, but thanks to exciting players like Damian Lillard, I'm back to my roots (I was born in Portland).  Multnomah County represent!

Dude is clutch.  

Anyways, since we've been in San Diego, we've stopped by a few places of interest.  Here is my daughter with my little brother on a whale statue at La Jolla Shores.  She's only been to the beach a few times, but she loves it.  We didn't have her wear her bathing suit since we thought that we'd just be going down by the beach to look at the water, but she jumped right in, cold temperatures and all.  To see my son's reaction to the beach, see his face in the Santa picture above.

Christmas was great for our family.  Harper made out like a bandit, and Foster got mountains of blocks and cars (because nobody, including ourselves, knows what to get for a one-year old boy).  I got three shirts and some money.  Here are two of the shirts I got from my sister.  The Padres shirt is obviously awesome, but my favorite is the "Froman Sausage Co." shirt.  She found the design online and put it onto the shirt using freezer paper and paint.

If you don't know who Abe Froman is, I feel bad for you.

Alright, there's the catch up.  Tomorrow is the final installment of the Top 10 Cards of 2013, and then we'll be back to semi-regularly scheduled posting.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Sounds like you had a nice Christmas! I love the baseball card pack sled!

    ReplyDelete