A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

GWYNNsday Pick Me Up

Alright, so I've been sufficiently bummed out about the Luke Gregerson trade long enough.  I almost feel bad complaining about it, since Jacoby Freaking Ellsbury signed with the Yankees, but then again, I don't think that I should feel too bad for Sox fans, seeing as how they had a pretty memorable October.

Anyways, to get me out of the funk, here is a return of what at one time was a semi-regular thing on this blog - GWYNNsday!

I recently got a bubble mailer from my man Mark at This Way To The Clubhouse…, and while I got a dozen or so new Gwynn's to add to The Gwynn Binder, here are my Top 5 Favorite Gwynn's from the bunch...
#5 - 2001 Topps Stadium Club
Most of the best Gwynn's show him batting.  This is an indisputable fact.  However, the sight of a sliding Gwynn is always a beauty to behold, though they're rarely the most flattering.  I'm not sure that I have many TSC cards from 2001.  Kind of a weird looking design to me, but it's a Gwynn, and Gwynn is good.

#4 - 1999 Upper Deck Retro Throwback Attack
Of all of the baseball card sets, Upper Deck is the least "retro".  But the phrase "Throwback Attack" is just too good to pass up, and the orange really works with the late 90's Padre unis.

#3 - 1989 Fleer Superstars 
Here is an actual retro card.  Well, I know it's just from the late 80's, but these Fleer Superstars look very decent.  And like I said, all of best Gwynn's feature him hitting.

#2 - 2013 Panini Prizm
The 80's uniforms with the super shiny gloss seem like a very strange mix.  Throw in the lack of team logos, and this card does not look like something you'd see everyday.  But I like it.  I'd prefer that the brown was a little more obvious, since it looks kind of black, making it seem like he's playing on the Giants instead of the Padres.  

#1 - 1997 Upper Deck
Okay, so I guess I might've been a little misleading.  Not all of the best Gwynn cards show him hitting. Sometimes they can be of him wearing a collared shirt, holding a fish.  I've seen this one around before, but never have been able to track it down.  Until now.

Thanks for sending these over to me Mark!  Brightened my day and added to the collection.  All around goodness.

2 comments:

  1. That was a nice pick-me-up. Everyday should be Gywnnsday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 97 Upper Deck fishing card is great...

    ReplyDelete