A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Best Card Ever

Been getting ready this weekend for our Christmas trip back to San Diego.  Yesterday, after helping a lady in our congregation move, my wife and I took the kids down to Austin to grab some stuff that will hopefully keep them occupied for the eighteen and a half hour drive.  We'll be stopping in New Mexico for the night, so it'll be a two day trip, but either way you slice it, it's sure to be a long day of driving with a one year old and an almost-three year old.

Speaking of long trips, I made an acquisition towards my Chris Denorfia collection that came a very long way...

from Japan, to be exact.  While the title of the post may not be entirely accurate ("ever" is too big a word to use), it would've claimed the #1 spot of my "Best Cards of 2012" post from a year ago.  While I already have the posts for this year in draft mode, I figured I'd better show off what would've claimed the crown from last year's showdown.

Feast your eyes on a man who is sure to inspire fear in the hearts of all opposing pitchers - and fielders. Running around the base paths like a man possessed, My Man Deno looks like he is tearing off after the maker of the guy who decided that he was only a "two-star" player (according to the star ranking system seen on the bottom of the card).  I imagine him like a red-faced Pac Man, eating the third baseman as he runs past him on his way to home.  If there is a more intense look from a player on a baseball card, I have never seen it.  Since it is of my favorite current player, it makes it that much better.

I'd be remiss if I didn't show the back as well.  Like I said, this card came from Japan, and it is from the Sega Card-Gen 2012 set.  I got excited thinking that this was a rogue card set, using MLB logos with out Topps' permission, but it turns out that Topps also has their hands in this release as well.  I didn't photo the back corner of the card with the Topps logo, but believe me, it's there. 


What I chose to focus on the back is the Japanese writing in the "bio" portion of the card.  Aside from looking at the symbols in between dates like 2010 and 2011, I also learned how many centimeters tall Chris is, and how many kilograms he weighs.  Very informative.

Anyways, if I cared more about it, I'd go back and take the title from last year's "Card Of The Year" winner, but I don't care that much, and the Tony Gwynn's card from last year's Allen & Ginter set is nothing to sniff at.

Look forward to those "end of the year" lists from me shortly.  In the mean time, look forward to never seeing a more awesome card in your life.

3 comments:

  1. I have a couple of those Sega Card Gen cards from last year as well. I was thinking the same thing about the licenses, until I flipped it over and saw the Topps logo. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these Sega cards from Japan. Although... Denorfia doesn't seem amused that he's being photographed for this card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun fact, these cards were originally made by Upper Deck until they lost their licensing rights and Topps took over in 2010.
    BTW, I think I still have some leftover Padres that I haven't already given to Fuji, if you're interested in a trade LMK.

    ReplyDelete