A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Back In San Diego!

Well, my string of "Best Cards of 2013" was interrupted on Friday.  My wife and I have been planning a Christmas trip to visit our families in San Diego, and the plan was to leave early Saturday morning.  However, early Friday morning, my wife told me that on the infant that she normally babysits during the day was sick, so if we wanted to, we could leave a little early.  I probably would've preferred a little extra rest, since I had been up late working on some last minute report card stuff, but anytime I can do something to make my lady happy, I do what I can.

So, after cleaning up the wreckage from our class party (I thought that gingerbread house building would be a good idea - I think I've learned my lesson), I hustled home and threw some stuff into the car, and we were off.

We spent the night in Las Cruces, NM, which is the halfway point between Copperas Cove and San Diego.  We finally cruised into San Diego around 6:00 PM and after hanging out with my family, went to bed at about 8:00.  My body is still recovering from our cramped car and trying to sleep in beds with our kids, but we're back among family and beautiful weather, so I suppose the 19 hour drive was worth it.

So anyways, I'll wrap up the "Best Cards of 2013" countdown sometime this week - for all of those sitting on pins and needles.  In the mean time, here is a pair of cards that were delivered to my mailbox the day before we left; both of the Padre cards from this year's High Number Heritage set.

I may have drafted the final installment out the "Best Of" countdown a little prematurely.  I'm a fan of Jedd Gyorko, I'm a fan of this year's Heritage set, I'm a fan of this card.  The Gyrk was undoubtedly the easiest choice to make the "updated" Heritage set, as he was somehow excluded from the original set.

Kyle Blanks makes it onto the second part of this double header.  While I would've gone with Chris Denorfia or Nick Vincent, Kyle's a good choice as well.  For some reason, there are a large number of players in the set without hats.  Now there is one more.

Well, that's it for now.  We went to bed at 8:00 last night, the kids woke up before 5:00.  I'm feeling a nap coming on.

3 comments:

  1. Marcus, I am so jealous of you. We were last in San Diego two years ago Christmas. Today we're buried under another four inches of snow and the temps are supposed to be down to -3 tonight and in the teens tomorrow. God, how we miss San Diego. Enjoy your stay and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, have fun in the christmastime sun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss building gingerbread houses with my 5th graders. I'd make them buy their materials (not with real money) and they had to determine the value of their house at the end. For example, a red vine might cost them 5¢ or a graham cracker would cost them 20¢. Each person would have a $20 budget and they'd have to add up their building expenses. Best of all... they'd be partnered up with their 1st grade buddies, who would help them. After we took pictures of the houses, the 5th graders would give their houses to their buddies (well... at least most of them would) under the condition that the 1st graders would help them clean (we reserved the cafeteria for easy mopping). Damn... brings back some awesome memories. Don't really have the opportunity to do that with my 7th and 8th graders.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete