A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, November 4, 2013

Two Great Cards

Yesterday I posted twice.  What was that all about?  I usually write a few posts over the weekend and then schedule them throughout the following week.  But here it is and I've got nothing to post, because I had to get cocky and post twice on a Sunday.  Hmmm...

Here is a card that I got last week from Nate at Big 44 Cards.  Great guy, I think he sent me a PWE with some other cards, including a Darin Erstad that I didn't have and some other Padres.  But this Goose Gossage mini card was my favorite of the bunch.  Even though I prefer seeing him in a Padres uniform, Gossage is a guy that I'm happy to see in newer releases (well, I like his older cards as well, not just the newbies).

This is a card that I also got last week.  I've been trying to track down the last three emerald Padres I need from Topps Series 2, so while at Walmart, I picked up a $2 pack to see if I could get lucky.  Well, while I had zero luck in the emerald Padre department, I did pull this short printed card of David Ortiz.  Call it exploitation of a tragic event on Topps' part, but take away the story behind it, and it's still a pretty cool looking card.  Call me overly-patriotic, but I think we could stand to see more flags of the good old US of A on baseball cards.  Add the significance of the moment to the city of Boston, coupled with their recent World Series victory, and this is a pretty cool piece of cardboard.

Well, there you have it.  Two cards that have nothing to do with each other.  Well, other than that they are Yankees and Red Sox, whose rivalry is almost as big as the Padres and Mariners.

Happy Monday.

2 comments:

  1. I love that Ortiz card. If you would consider moving it, I would definitely be interested.

    ReplyDelete