A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

This Is What You Get

I had planned on digging into the Top 50 Padre Cards of the 90's (can't believe that that we're ready to start hitting the Top 10!), but things have been busy at school, and between helping out of the kids when I get home, planning for my class, and trying to navigate some student loan repayment plans (ug), time's been at a premium.

So, instead of taking a look at some sweet 90's cardboard, here is what you get: some much lamer cardboard from the late 80's.

The first thing that jumped out at me when I saw these cards is the name, since one of my buddies growing up had Nolte as a last name.  Funny guy.  The second thing that I noticed was the vacant stare that Eric seems to be sporting here.  I've never seen The Walking Dead, and I'm not a big fan of zombie movies, but this seems like a look that you'd see from somebody who eats brains.

I've mentioned before that, even though I'm your basic "team collector", I don't collect every card that has a Padre on it.  Too much junk that I don't want to waste time collecting and storing.  When I first saw the Donruss card, I thought "Hm, never heard of this guy, '88 Donruss is an ugly design, this one is gone."  Then, I randomly received the '88 Fleer card of Nolte, and I realized that they both needed to stay in my collection.

I'm not much of an expert when it comes to "where this picture was taken" type stuff, but it seems pretty apparent to me that these photos were culled from the same photo shoot.  Despite the absence of the lurker with the ball cap from the Donruss card, the rest seems identical - background: horizontal lines of the stands, green outfield wall with logos and the yellow stripe, and though you can't see the glove that he might be wearing on the Fleer card, I really can't imagine what that pose would look like without a glove ("Hey, how about you twiddle your thumbs while we take your picture.  Ya know?  Real big leaguer stuff).

Since I can't imagine Mr. Nolte getting any more press on this here blog, I'll go ahead and mention that in his four year career ('87-'89, '91), he pitched in 26 games (23 as a Padre, 3 as a Ranger) and accumulated a 5-8 record and a 5.63 ERA.  Not enough to guarantee you a spot in the Miscellaneous Padres binder, but if there's a small coincidence with some of your cards, it's enough of a novelty to get you in.  Don't want to be too exclusive, now.  It is just the Padres.

Anyways, this is also the post that you get when I have to clean out the photos taken with my iPhone.  This one has been sitting on there for a while, and since Foster started taking his first steps and is basically the cutest thing ever, I'm needing some more storage space.

I mean, seriously, is this kid for real?

1 comment: