A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Justice Is Not Served

Man, I feel like I've been slacking on blogging lately.  I have all these ideas for posts, but then don't have the time to sit down and hammer them out.  Case in point - I have a sweet trade charity package from Jason that is just sitting lonely in the draft pile.

I am probably not the only person that this happens to.  I think it happens because we want to "do justice" to a something (a card, a topic, an idea, etc.) and we want to make sure that everything is executed properly.  This takes time and thought and patience.

Tonight, this is a post that has none of those things.  If it takes me longer than fifteen minutes, I'm not doing this right.

All of the following cards are more than deserving of their own post, but because the time may never come to "do justice" to them they're all being crammed into one.  Buckle up...

I've long been on the lookout for vintage Jerry Coleman cards.  Well, I guess I mean Coleman cards, period.  I had a whopping four or so before this one came along, but this is certainly not of the vintage variety.  It is, however, pretty slick looking, as Coleman looks to be turning a double play over... well, somebody.  I'm not sure what I like more, the Colonel going airborne or the scowly mugshot in the bottom right.  It's as if grouchy Jerry is thinking "Upper Deck?  I've never heard of this bubble gum card company before.  Hmpf."

See what I'm talking about?  An Upper Deck card of Jerry Coleman has no business being in the same post as an autographed card of Alexi Amarista as a minor leaguer!  But that's the way the cookie crumbles today.  Speaking of crummy, check out Amarista's signature, as it was too wild a crazy to fit onto a single sticker.  If there was ever a debate about wether or not on-card autographs are superior to sticker autos, this has to pretty much clinch it.

Well, okay, I guess the pair of Coleman's would've fit together in a post alright.  But a post about The Colonel needs to be treated with respect and dignity.  Not so for a post about a bunch of random cards. Quick and dirty.  Speaking of quick and dirty, the guys manning the cutter at Bowman must've been distracted by something when they were slicing up this one, as it is very off-center, as evidenced by the extremely thin border on the left.

Still, despite the rush, there is always time to show the back of vintage cards.  My favorite sentence is "Nervous as a cat in the field, never standing still for two seconds."  I mean, if you're not counting something as inherently awesome as "A bomber pilot, Jerry has over 100 missions to his credit in World War II and the Korean conflict."  Jerry is awesome.

From early 50's vintage, we're jumping ahead almost 60 years.  There is a major league team in San Diego now (Hey, no jokes anybody!  They are too a big league team!  We tied with the Giants this year, and they won the World Series in 2012!), and the cards now look very very shiny.  I hesitate to call this cardboard, since it is of a much different variety than that of the '54 Bowman that we saw previously.

In the baseball card world, parallels now rule, as this is the "gold border" version of Yonder Alonso's Topps Chrome card.  It is numbered #10 out of 50, which is probably the lowest serial number that will fall down into my price range.  The whole purpose of photographing the back of this one was to see clearly the serial number, but it does not appear to be very clear.  My bad, yo.

Alright, if ever there was a card that deserved it's own post, it'd be this one.  While I like autographs and patches and vintage, getting printing plates is certainly a rare treat.  This is only my second (my first being the magenta plate of Chris Denorfia from the 2011 Topps Update set), since they are usually way out of my price range, even for some of the lowly Padres that I'm such a huge fan of.

Actually, one thing that these cards all have in common is that I bought them all off of eBay recently, and they are placed in order of how much I spent on them.  This "one-of-a-kind collectible" was the priciest at $6.49, which I consider to be a pretty good steal, while the others all fell between the range of $1.45 and $3.99.

Time!  Alright, fifteen minutes on the dot!  Good job team.

Random cards from eBay served up fresh!  Justice... not served.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I need to gets me somes vintage Colemans someday.

    ReplyDelete