A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, November 18, 2013

It's Like Having A New Trade Partner


I remember when I first started this blog, I was always emailing other bloggers for trades.  Checking want lists and trade lists and making my own lists - it was a lot.  A lot of work, but also a lot of fun.

Can't say that it's where I am anymore, however.  Now, I pretty much know who all my regular/semi-regular trade partners are, and I don't check a lot of lists, I pretty much know where a card is going to go if I decide that I'm not giving it a permanent home.

Anyways, after accumulating a few pretty decent Diamondbacks cards, I realized that since I didn't have any D-Backs fans in my current circle of traders, I would need to expand the radius and find one.  That individual happened to be Daniel from the blog It's Like Having My Own Card Shop.  After shipping off my end, here's what I received a few days later, starting off with my second Josh Barfield card.

A pair of shiny cards here, one celebrating a Gold Glove center fielder and another a former Cy Young award winner.  As you might've noticed, there were no Padre nominees for any of the year end awards this year (unless you count the guy that voted for Jedd Gyorko over Yasiel Puig in the Rookie of the Year voting), so these were nice to see and think of better days.  I'm normally not a big fan of the "creative spelling" that is found on some baseball cards, but the "Xponential" cards are not too shabby.

This Homerun Heroes is one that I already had, but I used it to show the size of some of these mini cards that Daniel sent along.  They were almost my favorite cards of the package.  Very cool, and this from a guy that isn't the biggest fan of minis.

Here's one reason these are awesome - they're from Cracker Jack boxes!  My wife and I recently got a Sam's Club membership and while looking for something to keep in a drawer at work to snack on, I found a box of individually wrapped Cracker Jack bags.  I've gone through most of them now, and the novelty of caramel popcorn has worn thin, and the stickers that are now included as "prizes" pale in comparison to these sweet little cards.

I don't have much to say about this one other than that I like it and it shows a Padre catcher in gear, which is a rapidly growing subsection in my Sweetness binder (yes, that's the name for the binder that has most of my mini-collections and other stuff that I deem to be awesome).

I don't think that I had any cards from the Sweet Spot set previously, but these two are some nice additions to my Khalil Greene and Trevor Hoffman collections.  Simple design with decent shots - I like these ones enough.

When I first contacted Daniel, he mentioned that he had some serial numbered Padres that he'd be sending my way, and while I appreciated the ones he sent, I think I actually tended to like some of the "non-hits" that he sent instead.  Here were the serial #'d ones that caught my eye, however...

When I first looked at these, I thought, "Great, two guys I've never heard of.  Probably never even made it to the bigs."  But thanks to the wonders of the internet, I was able to see that, while I was sort of right, that they still had a story worth learning about.

Alex Pelaez is a guy who seemed very unimpressive at first.  He only played in three big league games (two starts), getting two singles in eight at bats - no walks, no strikeouts - for a .250 batting average.  Further investigation shows that he played the first three games of a four game series at home against the Mets.  The Padres would lose all three games by a combined score of 21-7.  He would not see action in the fourth game, which the Padres won.

What really set Pelaez apart from the crowd, however, is his road to the big leagues:
1 - Born in San Diego
2 - Graduated from Chula Vista High School
3 - Played at San Diego State University
4 - Drafted by the San Diego Padre

Now, he played ball in the minors at a bunch of different places outside of San Diego, but it's pretty cool that he was born, raised, educated, and played professional baseball all in the same city.

J.J. Trujillo, on the other hand, has this little piece of history to hang his hat on:
Trujillo is one of only two pitchers in major league history to surrender a game-ending home run to the first batter he faced in the majors. On June 11, 2002, he began the 10th inning of an interleague game against the Baltimore Orioles and promptly gave up a walk-off home run to Tony Batista.

I didn't say it was something good.  He pitched in four games for the Padres in 2002, lasting 2.2 innings and left the majors with a 10.13 ERA.

Easily, however, this was my favorite card of the mailer.  Fred McGriff is one of my all-time favorite players, despite the brevity of his stint in San Diego.  He and Gary Sheffield made a pretty impressive duo in the Padres lineup, and it's cool that this Donruss "Spirit of the Game" card recognized it.  Who needs stats when you've got two awesome shots on the front and back?

Thanks again for the trade Daniel!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the trade! Glad you liked what I sent. Always happy to swap for D-Backs cards!

    ReplyDelete