A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, November 25, 2013

Four Random Cards

This is a scheduled post, but as I write this, I am hoping that when it is posted, I will still be at home, instead of at work.  Central Texas is experiencing what most areas call "cold weather", but around here, you'd think that the world was ending.  There is talk that school may be cancelled or at least have a later start time today, so later on in the day, I'll post a weather update, since I figure my readers come for the cards but stay for the riveting information about my life.

Anyways, today's post is four random and seemingly unrelated cards that I've recently added to my collection.

I've kind of shied away from going full bore on collecting every Chris Denorfia card prior to his Padre days (there are a ton of inserts/parallels/autos from his days as a Reds prospect that I don't have the time/energy/money to track down, plus I obviously prefer his Padre cards), but when I saw this one, I knew it had to be mine.  Technically, this may be a Carlos Carrasco card, since that's the name that is plastered on the front.  I have never heard of the guy, but apparently he played for the Phillies, even though the card's color scheme matches Deno's uniform (yellow and green dots).  I'm probably late to the game on this one, but I didn't know that Denorfia's card from 2007 Topps Update was an error card.   Pretty cool in my book.

Okay, I guess two of these cards are somewhat related, since this Tadahito Iguchi card is also an error card.  The error here is that, while there is a photo of Iguchi in the background on the left, the picture on the right is of a completely different player.  This same picture is also on the back of the card as well.  Much like Carrasco, I have no idea who he is and no time right now to sit. down wand figure it out.  I actually got this one in a lot with the card above it, which was cool, since I was a big fan of Iguchi's after the great run the White Sox had in 2005.

Here's one that I pulled out of a pack recently.  I have no idea who Jake Elmore is, but I love love love the Astros uniforms here.  Can't go wrong with orange and blue, and the abundance of orange here is spectacular.  That it's a blue bordered card is a bonus as well, though it'd be better if it was a little darker to better match the uniform.

AHH!  I almost hit publish without looking up who Jake Elmore actually was!  Turns out that he played every single position for the Astros this year!  Looking it up on Baseball Reference, it look like he pitched and caught for an inning each in a 16-5 loss against the Rangers on August 16.  He has a perfect ERA of 0.00, retiring Mitch Moreland, Jurickson Profar, and David Murphy on 11 pitches.  That game might've been closer if the 'Stros hadn't given up eleven runs on seven hits and two errors in the 3rd inning alone.

That said, I still know basically nothing about Elmore.  This is definitely enough for now.

Last but not least, my first autograph of Keyvius Sampson.  Sampson recently was added to the 40 Man Roster on the Padres, and he's been tearing it up in whatever Fall League he's been in.  While he might still have a season or so until he gets a legit shot at making the move to the bigs, seems like the dude's got a lot of potential.  He's one that I follow on twitter (@K_Samp2) as well, and seems like a good human being as well.

Well, there ya have it!  Four random cards, and only one was a Padre!  Well, Denorfia and Iguchi would later become Padres, so I'm not going way off book here.  Hope everybody had a great weekend, I may or may not keep y'all posted on the weather situation.

EDIT: School had a two hour late start this morning.  It was 33 degrees and raining on my way to work.

6 comments:

  1. Same here in New Orleans. Thermometer hits 50 and everyone starts to panic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 45 in Phoenix this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Elmore nugget seems like the perfect fodder for one of the cartoons they put on cards back in day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I attended seven Astros games this year (six in MMP and one @ Wrigley) and I didn't recognize Elmore either. Of course they went through about 75 players during the year and only two were widely known... one for being short and the other from striking out nearly every trip to the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try living in New England. It snows here every year, but if you were to read the media's description of the first snowstorm each year, you would think we were all in a state of surprised panic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kind of makes me feel guilty living here in Florida...

    ReplyDelete