A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Darin & Tony & Tim & Brad


Today's post is a smorgasboard of cards, little groups of cards that are not totally related to each other.  I've said it before, but the whole "give 'em their own post" thing that I usually prefer is losing out to the "if I don't do it now, it'll never get done" mentality.

This sweet looking Darin Erstad card came from none other than the king of Angels cards, Tom, author of The Angels In Order.  I'm guessing he's already got doubles of these ones.  While the Leaf card above was my favorite, I was able to add another nine cards to the Erstad collection as well...

I'm not a huge fan of the "mostly red" Angels uniforms that they have today, but they certainly are an upgrade from the "wing and ball" uniforms from when Erstad broke into the majors.  Can't have too many Erstads.

This next unrelated group is from TJ, the Junior Junkie.  He sent me a nice bubble mailer full of Padre cards, including a healthy amount of Tony Gwynn cards.  I already had a pretty good chunk of them, but there was a pair of beauties that were new to me that will get their due now...

Gotta love the Sportflix cards from the mid-90's!  Look!  They move!  It's almost like being at a game!  Well, that is, if you enjoy looking at multiple angles of a Mr. Padres' backswing.  Nice little cameo from Mets catcher Todd Hundley as well.

Nice to see that the next year they mixed it up with Gwynn, giving him a more cohesive transition with his 3D card, and also showing him flashing the leather.  I was a big fan of the 3D cards from last year's Archives set.  Was it last year?  I feel like it was, and also feel too lazy to double check.

Here was my favorite non-Gwynn of the batch.  Tim Stauffer hasn't lived up to the hype, but he's still on the major league roster, so I guess he wasn't a total bust.  Mostly a long relief mop-up guy, but a guy that's good to have around if/when the injury bug hits.  I'm not sure that I have any other cards from the Topps Pristine line, but if the rest of them look as slick as this one, I might have to seek some out.  Thanks TJ!

Last but not least, some love for former Padres special assistant, Brad Ausmus.  As you may or may not know, Ausmus was chosen to be the new manager for the Tigers, replacing Jim Leyland.  Big shoes to fill for Ausmus, a first time manager - well, he coached the Israeli team when they were trying to qualify for the World Baseball Classic - who will be replacing a possible Hall of Fame manager. 

I have surprisingly few cards of Ausmus as a Padre.  These are all four of them.  Nothing too exciting here.

Here is something much more interesting.  If you are on twitter (you can follow me at @MarcusSDTX, if you feel so inclined), I would recommend following Padres prospect Cody Decker (@Decker6), brother of Jaff Decker, who had a few stints with the Padres this season.  I don't know what Jaff is like, but Cody is pretty funny.

Here is a hilarious video that he made about Ausmus.


Despite Ausmus' lack of experience (as far as I know, his only managing experience is with the Israeli team, when they failed to qualify for the World Baseball Classic), I'm sure he'll do well.  From all that I've read/heard about him, he's very knowledgable, and being a former catcher, knows the game well (a la Mike Matheny, who was able to lead the Cardinals to the World Series this year, his first as a manager).

Great Wednesday to everyone!  If you haven't yet, stop on by Nachos Grande and vote in the Blogger Bracket Challenge.  Vote for whoever you want, but if you're not sure who to vote for, I'd recommend me.

1 comment:

  1. I figured I was sending a few duplicates in that package, but I knew you didn't have that Stauffer card. No one ever mention Pristine. What a bizarre brand.

    ReplyDelete