A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Friday, October 4, 2013

Top 50 Padres Cards of the 90's - Honorable Mentions


Now that the Padres season is over and the "new card" season is drawing to a close (you know, for the most part), I'm finally able to do something that I've been wanting to do for a long time:

A countdown.

It was hard to narrow down what kind of countdown I wanted to do.  I feel like it should be Padre-based, but there's still a few that I want to track down before I start doing the "Best Padre Cards EVER" list.  Tony Gwynn could have a countdown of his own, but that just seemed too daunting, and even though I have 300+ cards of his, I have to imagine that that is still just a small percentage of Gwynn cards that are available.

However, if there's one thing that I have a pretty decent stash of, it's cards from my childhood - The 90's (even though my sister - who is four years younger than me - claims to be a child of the 80's, I was six in 1990, and my card collecting days began shortly thereafter, and I consider myself a child of the 90's).  I'm really excited about this, and although I'd been mulling it over for weeks, I actually sat down and made the list in a little over an hour.  The more I think about it, the more I may want to change things, but I'm just going to go with the original list.

But today is not the day for that list, today is the day for those who didn't make the cut.  They can't all be "The Top 50 Padres Cards of the 90's".  Feel free to play that American Idol song as these cards slowly leave the runway (wait, is that confusing two different reality shows that I don't even watch?).

Oh Benito, your plays at the plate were no match for the Top 50.  Please pack your knives and leave.  Wait.  Knives?!  Yup, he brought a knife to a gunfight.  You're out.

All that glitters may or may not be gold, but just because it glitters, doesn't mean that it's going to be in the Top 50.  Tony and Ken... you're out (to be read in German accent).  Aufiderzein (spell check isn't giving me any hints about spelling the German word for goodbye, sorry if you can't read that). 

Even though Tony and Will teamed up on this piece of Classic cardboard, they weren't the last ones left standing in the octagon.  Props for the matching orange uniforms, but brown with black?  Just looks tacky.

Might we see some Cianfrocco cards in the Top 50?  Only time will tell.  I'm only now noticing the fist pump that looks like it's about to hit Finley in the chest.  I feel like I should have something funny to say about that, but I don't.

Pitchers in various stages of... um... not pitching?  As great as these two pieces were, they were left out in the cold.  Fernando seems like he'll be alright, but Randy Myers seems a little steamed.  Hey, if you can't take the heat, you gotta get outta the kitchen.

Ben Davis' chin and Ricky Gutierrez' shades might've worked better if their forces combined, but alone by themselves, they fell short.

Even this picturesque Hoffman card ended up with sand in it's shorts.  While there will not be an all expenses paid trip for the winner, the bragging rights for Top Padre Card of the 90's is worth all that and more.

I'm considering doing a contest for this as well, but haven't defined it yet.  You know, something about guessing how many Gwynn cards will be included, or what the top three represented Padres will be.  Something like that.  Maybe in the next post.

Until then, get psyched.

1 comment: