A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Top 50 Padre Cards of the 90's: Genesis (50-46)

All right, the moment you've all been waiting for... the beginning of the countdown for the Top 50 Padre Cards of the 90's!

Too much hype?  Okay, lets just dive right in...

#50 - Tony Gwynn 1992 O-Pee-Chee
Probably Definitely a sentimental pick on my part.  I got in to collecting with the 1992 Topps set, which was passed out in my third grade class by my favorite teacher of all time, Mr. Seipel.  While I can't say that this is Gwynn's best Topps base card of all time, it's one that really resonates with me.  And, well, I guess the fact that this isn't the "Topps" base card, but is instead the O-Pee-Chee brand makes this a cool one to have.

 #49 - Kurt Stillwell 1993 Score Select
How close were you to not making the cut, Kurt?  Close huh?

I don't know why I like this card so much, but it's probably because of all the juvenile jokes that I could use this card for.

#48 - Ruben Rivera 1998 Metal Universe
Ruben Rivera is still one of my least favorite Padres of all time.  Still, have I told you how awesome Balboa Park in San Diego is?  It's so beautiful that if you take a picture of Ruben Rivera and slap it on top of a picture of Balboa Park, I'll still like it.

#47 - Tony Gwynn 1992 Triple Play
As a kid, I remember 1996 being the best year of my life.  The Padres made it to the playoffs for the first time since I was a few months old.  What was so amazing was that they had been so bad for so much of my life that I didn't even think it was possible for them to be a decent team.  The picture on this Gwynn card sums up my feelings for the Padres and the playoffs pre-1996: Hopelessly out of reach.

#46 - Jose Melendez 1993 Upper Deck
I'm a sucker for the 1993 Upper Deck set (not the last you'll see of it in this countdown), and even more of a sucker for cards with players' kids on 'em.  As far as this one goes, it's not particularly memorable (no way near Sandy Alomar's card from '92 Triple Play), but I still like it a lot.

Well, there you have it!  Underwhelmed yet?  I promise that the last few posts will make it all worthwhile.  Can't wait to keep on trucking!

1 comment:

  1. This will be a fun series to watch unfold. There's lots of good cardboard out there that I have missed out on, and you'll have me covered for at least one team for a decade.

    Keep on trucking!

    ReplyDelete