A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, October 3, 2013

More Things To Post About

After the slightly sour note of Monday's post, I started wondering how often I'd be posting on the blog for the next little while.  Not that I'm constantly breaking down the most recent Padres conquest or defeat for blog posts or anything, but having the season over (along with most of the sets for this year being released already) has made posting seem a little less... um, urgent, I guess.

Well, of course, on Monday after work, I came home to a package from Jason, who's been bombarding me with bubble mailers full of awesome cardboard.  And if that wasn't good enough, he did so again the next day!

I'm not going to say that the well is dry for ideas, but getting/showing off new cards makes for enjoyable post fodder.  Thanks Jason!  Work and life have been busy, so it's taken me a little longer than I wanted to get this post up.

I'll just go ahead and start of with my favorite card from either package, a Yonder Alonso autograph from this year's Gypsy Queen.  GQ is still on the list of packs I haven't bought this year, so I'm glad to have already snagged most of the singles that I've put on the want list (still just looking for the Jim Abbott and Goose Gossage cards).  But of all the Alonso autos that I've been looking at online, this is one of the best looking, in my opinion.  Can't say that Yonder's got the most attractive signature of all-time, but I like the shot with the digital camo and the followthrough swing.  Nice.

Lots of great 90s cards to be had in both packages as well!  I can't say that I like every card from 1998 Metal Universe, but this is at the very least an interesting set.  Now that I've moved away from San Diego, any shots of my former hometown are always good in my book.  But I think that two of the marquee players on the '98 Padres got stiffed here.  Mountains?  And... some sort of field?  Kind of picturesque, but not what I think of when I think San Diego.

Ruben Rivera and Will Cunnane, however, fared much better in this set.  Even though Rivera is one of the worst Padres ever (my head feels so mean saying that, but my heart says it's true), this is a great card.  Can't say that I've ever seen a baseball card feature Balboa Park in the background.  If you've ever been there, you'll know why I love this - one of the most beautiful places in San Diego.  And Cunnane's battleship background is tops as well.

These two cards have virtually nothing in common, other than that I liked them both.  I was never a big Ryan Klesko fan, but any cards of his with those ridiculous sideburns make me smile, so this one's a keeper.  I already have the complete '84 Topps set, but this Luis Salazar card is from the O-Pee-Chee brand, and there's too much yellow in here for it not to be featured here.

Here's a trio of 90s greatness right here.  Rickey Henderson and Greg Vaughn (on paper) may be the best left field platoon in the history of baseball (okay, I can't think of any other left field platoons, but it sounds good, right?).  Can't have too many Hoffman's, either.

The first package was rounded out with a trio of '88 Donruss cards.  After taking this picture, I found out (which I had partially assumed) that I already had the Gossage card in the Miscellaneous Padres binder.  The Grant and Santiago, however, were new additions.

The next package started off with a sweet serial numbered Hoffman card.  15/25 is pretty low, right?  Can't say that this is a great shot of the one-time saves leader, though.  I'll blame it on the sand colored uniforms.  I have a few other cards from the "Moments & Milestones" set, and I have a hard time telling them apart.

I don't have as many Scott Hairston cards in the MP binder as I thought.  This was an easy addition to the "H" section (which, BTW, is the largest section of the MP binder, due to names like Chase Headley, Joey Hamilton, Greg Harris, and Rickey Henderson).  Nice catch.

As a mostly Padres collector, I've come to realize that even the most early 90s "junk wax" is a great pickup when they're "kind of obscure" sets.  If I had a buck for every '91 Donruss card I've gotten in trade packages, I'd be rich.  However, "The Rookies" falls under that "kind of obscure" category, seeing as how this is the first time I've ever seen these cards.  I think I might be closing in on all of the Paul Faries cards ever made, which I guess isn't that difficult.  Like the look of the Melendez card, which looks like it might've been taken at Wrigley Field.

Speaking of "harder to find" 90s wax, here are some cards from the '90 and '91 Score Traded sets.  The only card I'd seen from the '91 set is Fred McGriff's first card as a Padre, and now I can add the other guy the Padres got in that trade, Tony Fernandez.  Barry Bonds makes a cameo in Tim Teufel's card here.  There is something about Craig Lefferts' cards that I just like.  Maybe it's the brown, maybe it's the mustache, maybe it's that my dad's name is Craig.  For as little as I know about Lefferts, I still like getting his cards a lot, for whatever reason.

Jason also sent over a few cool Ken Caminiti cards and a Gerry Templeton that I had meant to photo, but I'll have to show those some other time, maybe.  Lots of good stuff to add to the collection here.  With the addition of those two bubble mailers, my Miscellaneous Padres binder has now grown to contain 888 cards.  It is very full and probably needs to be split in two.  If my math is right, that brings me to... well, I don't want to tell how many individual Padre cards I have, maybe I'll have that be the answer to a contest or something down the line.  My math is probably wrong anyways.

Thanks again Jason!

1 comment:

  1. The serial numbers in the Moments and Milestones set aren't really that uncommon, despite their lower number, in this case #/25. I found a bunch of these such cards in a quarter box last year at a card show. They look all pretty and nice, but they're just putting lipstick on a pig.

    ReplyDelete