A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Explain Yourself

The phrase "too much of a good thing" has always seemed a little strange to me.  If it's really a good thing, how can you get too much of it?

Of course, I've heard the so called "logic" on the matter - those cheeseburgers taste great, but they'll kill you, playing in the sun all day will give you skin cancer, if you take too many of those pills than you may have to call a doctor after four hours, blah blah blah.

I get it, I guess.

As much as I dislike the phrase, however, I've found myself using that reasoning with my Padre cards.

Padre cards = good thing.  Garage full of Padre cards = too much of a good thing.

For this reason, I am always trying to "trim down" my collection.  It's gotta be worth keeping, worth the space, worth the time spent looking at it.  It'd take too long to break down the thought process that is involved in determining such a card, but I'll just say that it's unique to me, I collect what I like.

Of course, I'm not going to start taking apart team sets or toss out cards from my player collections (although I gave up on trying to collect every Nolan Ryan and Cal Ripken card a while ago), so the area that has the most "trimming" to do has been my Miscellaneous Padres binder.  As it currently stands, there are currently over 900 cards in that binder.  Massive overload, and as soon as I have time and an extra binder, I'll split it into two groups (alphabetically, as it currently is).

Anyways, during a recent purge session of the MP binder, as I was basking in the glow of my random Friars, I came across one that made me think, "Why are you here?  Explain yourself!"

It was this 2001 Topps card of Kory DeHaan.

The summer of 2001 would've been the summer between my junior and senior year in high school.  Not a big time follower of the Padres at the time, as my interests were rooted mostly in music and girls. To be completely honest, I'm not sure that I had even heard of DeHaan before seeing this card.  If I had, it hadn't made much of an impression on me.

Anyways, I knew that I had already gone through multiple screenings and this card had somehow made it through, but I wondered what, besides a decent looking picture, had helped keep DeHaan's spot in the binder.

Then I flipped it over...

I guess I'm a sucker for those backhanded compliments, along the lines of "may not be a superstar" and crediting the players for "defense, a little speed and a lot of heart".  A lot more honest than the "has a lot of potential" or "will be a star" filler that seems to be on the back of a lot of cards.

Well, Kory, it appears that the fortune cookie writers weren't that far off.  He played in 90 games in 2000, and then made it into 12 more in 2003, spending his entire (big league) career with the Padres.  He left with a .193 average, two homers and 13 RBI.  A quick google search shows a few interesting hits, including his wikipedia page, which says that he went on to coach in the Padres and Pirates minor league systems.  I also found his testimony about Jesus Christ and a website that showed his batting average against Derek Bell, who apparently was brought in during a Padres blowout of the Mets.  DeHaan was 1 for 1 with a double against the former Padre.

This is my only Kory DeHaan card in my collection, and I'm not sure that I'll be more to come later on. But I can tell you that this one's got heart.

I have no idea what is up with the combination of music and broadcasting in this clip, but here is Kory DeHaan's first major league hit, off Pittsburg relief pitcher Brad Clontz.

1 comment:

  1. I remember him. He put up some good numbers in 98.

    ReplyDelete