A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Emerald Update


My quest to put together an emerald Padres team set has been stalling out of late.  I'm still looking for five of the emeralds from Series 1 & 2, and when I saw that the Update set was on the way, I thought I'd be falling even further behind.

Well, it turns out that Brent and Becca, baseball card people that I've heard so much about, had a sweet deal on eBay and I got the whole team set for less than three bucks.  I mean, there's only five cards, but still, it was a good deal.

So, here are the guys, starting off with Luke Gregerson at the top.  I'm a big fan of Luke's, and this is a good looking shot of him.  Sometimes pitchers cards get taken at awkward angles and they can look anywhere from boring to flat out ridiculous.  This is neither.  Go Luke.

Chris Denorfia's card was the one that I was looking forward to the most, he being my favorite player on the current Padres squad.  Can't say that this is a disappointing image, but a little too similar to last year's card, if you ask me (to be fair, he was high fiving Cameron Maybin and Deno was sporting some manly facial hair, so it's not exactly the same.  Still, any card of Denosaur is a good one, so high fives all around!

I was also looking forward to see if Alexi Amarista would make it into the Update set.  He joined the team early in 2012, but this is his first appearance on a card as a Padre (except for that one other one, which I don't count because I don't have it yet).  This one doesn't disappoint either, and since this is the third time I've shown Amarista's card on this blog in the past week or so, I'll just leave it at "it's awesome" and move on.


Big Kyle Blanks looks big here.  Check out the forearms on that guy!  While perhaps a little too closely cropped, this is still a good shot of the 88 Train.  Glad to see that he made it into the Update set, the world needs more Kyle Blanks.

If there was one card I could do without, it would've been this one.  I would've preferred a card of Nick Vincent, but the Padres rarely make any splashes at the trading deadline, so I don't have a problem documenting it here whatsoever (although, here's hoping that Ian Kennedy has a better Padres career than Ryan Ludwick).

Well, there you have it - all of the 2013 Topps Update Emerald Padres, for your viewing pleasure.  If you've got any of the last five that I need, hook a blogger up!

No comments:

Post a Comment