A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Don't Hassle the Hoffman


I received a bubble mailer this weekend from Weston at the Fantastic Catch blog.In his note, he said that he "hoped I need[ed] all of these".  Without going on a rant about "needing" things like cards, I will say that they were all much appreciated.  Still, I honestly can't remember the last time that I got a package that didn't have any dupes (unless the package only contained a few cards), but I always appreciate the effort.

What Weston's cards did provide was a healthy dosage of Trevor Time.  Seems like it's been a while since I scored multiple new Hoffman's, but the dude came through big time here.  Especially digging the one at the top of this post.

According to my (possibly inaccurate) list, I have three cards of Trevor Hoffman from 2007 Upper Deck.  I don't know how this is possible, other than that they are from different series (one of them has a number that's over 900, so it could be possible).  The card in the middle provides me with not just another Hoffman, but my first (and probably last) card of Joe Borowski.  Congrats Joe!

They weren't all Hoffman's, though.  Here's Brother Joyner sporting his game face on his follow through.  As I was assembling my Top 50 Padre Cards of the 90's, (coming soon, guysI was underwhelmed by the Joyner cards that I have.  Plenty of good looking cards, but it looks like he used up most of his great looking cards during his Angels/Royals days.  Still, adding Joyner card number 84 to the collection is great.

Here's a card that I definitely didn't have.  This is only my third bat relic card, and my first of a Padre (also have Cameron Maybin - Marlins, and Martin Prado - Braves).  Can't say that I was a big fan of Phil Nevin, who I only remember as being grumpy most of the time.  But the bat shard plus the sweet mid-swing photo looks sharp.  Plus he's a Cal State Fullerton guy, so he can't be that bad, right?

This last card is one that I already had and have tossed into my dupes box, but looking at it again made me do a double take.  I guess since Huston Street is one of the Padres I'm kinda neutral on (though I'm glad we have him, he's a good closer), plus this is a horizontal card, which I'm not always crazy about, I've kinda overlooked how good this card looks.  Aside from the sweet digital camo uniforms that I love, I forgot about the black "48" patch on the sleeve above the American flag.  Darrel Akerfelds was the bullpen coach for the Padres for eleven years, and he died during the 2012 season.  To commemorate their fallen teammate, they had the patches for the rest of the season.  Now that the 2013 season is ended, it was interesting to sit back and think about how much has changed in a year.

Thanks again for the cards Weston!  Always great to see the good ol mailbox stuffed with cardboard.  Is now an appropriate time to say that I'm still rooting for the Pirates?  Can we still be friends?

1 comment:

  1. Why is everyone rooting for the Pirates? But yes we can still be friends. Glad you liked the cards!

    ReplyDelete