A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Friday, October 25, 2013

A Rolaids Chapstick

This is my entry into the Blogger Bracket Challenge being held over at Nachos Grande.  The title has basically nothing to do with anything that I'm going to write about, but I am not good at writing titles.

***

When you think of great closers (of the pitching variety), many good ones tend to have something in common: the ability to throw the ball fast.  I mean really fast.  In most cases, they only have to pitch one inning, and they've usually got the lead, so no sense in holding back, try to blow the ball by them.

Of course, one of the all-time greats, Trevor Hoffman, is known for his change up.  Leave it to the Padres to be the odd ducks.


I'm not sure if Aroldis Chapman even has a change up.  For a guy that can throw it 100 MPH +, how much do you take off of a change up?  10 MPH?  If it's still in the 90's, does it really count as a "change up" or just a "not quite as fast" ball?

To one man, it does not matter.


Christopher Anthony Denorfia is a former Reds prospect who played 67 games with them between 2005 and 2006.  Since landing in San Diego from Oakland, he has become a platoon guy opposite Will Venable in right field.

Put don't let the "platoon" title fool you.  Deno is all hustle and heart.

And guts.

Against Aroldis Chapman (who, as it is noted in the card at the top of this post, has topped out at 105.1 MPH), he is hitting a Ted Williams-like .400 (2 for 5) with no strikeouts and three RBI.  Oh, and every hit that he's gotten off of Chapman has been a walk off hit.


But will Deno ever be on a card like Topps Attax?  Will there ever be more than a handful of Denorfia cards on the market place (two last year, one this year)?  Probably not.

That's fine.

He'll just take the "W".

Why did I spend most of this post that is "supposed to be about an Aroldis Chapman card" writing about Chris Denorfia?

Well, I have no idea what is happening in with Topps Attax.  I have none of these cards, which I think I'm alright with.  But Chris Denorfia is the man.  I guess you just write what you know.

Though I do wonder how fast that ball was traveling when it went over the fence.  Probably not 105.1 MPH, but it seemed to get out in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment