A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, September 30, 2013

Vintage Monday

Well, the season is over.

I suppose that technically there are still teams playing.  For the Rangers and Rays, the regular season isn't over yet.  But as far as I'm concerned, it's done.  Stick a fork in it.

The Padres lost yesterday, moving them into a tie for 3rd place in the NL West with the Giants, and giving them the exact same record as last year.  Ten games below .500.  For some reason, I guess I feel like if they had won the game yesterday (they led 6-5 going into the bottom of the ninth, but Huston Street blew his second game of the season), the year wouldn't have been so bad.  They would've finished ahead of the Giants and improved from last year.  But it didn't happen.  That's baseball, I guess.

I suppose that if the A's or Pirates work some magic, I might hop on a bandwagon.  Maybe.  But I don't have cable, and even though I am a baseball fan, I'm not sure I'll be going out of my way to watch games from my laptop (though it wouldn't be as bad if the games were being played Eastern or Central time - Pacific time slots kill me on school nights).

Anyways, enough whining about the Padres season.  I have no way to connect it to the cards I'm showing.

Here is my fourth vintage Jerry Coleman card.  A pretty sizable discount off eBay due to the light writing on the bottom, being a little worn, and having a pinhole near the top.  Still, this is a sharp looking card of The Colonel.  1957 Topps was a good set.

Here's the back, where you can see the hole a little clearer on the right side.  Oh, and in case you were wondering, Jerry's given name is "Gerald".  I'm not quite sure what a "danger spot" is or how it happens in an infield, but it sounds like Coleman was a good defender at second base.

Here are a pair of Washington "Nat'l Lea." cards that I picked up on the cheap as well, a buck and change for each one, free shipping.  There are 15 cards total in this error set, and these are #s five and six in the collection, so maybe there's a shot at completing this team set.

I suppose that I should just be glad that I even have a hometown team to root for, since the Padres almost got shipped off to Washington.  Thanks Ray Kroc.

I'll have the 2013 Padres Season Retrospective up soon.  Or at the very least, before the 2014 season.  I know you guys are already antsy to see my analysis, but you'll have to wait.

Until then, go A's and Pirates, those are the team's I'm hoping meet in the World Series.  My preseason prediction of Baltimore and Washington seems a bit off now, as neither team made the playoffs.  Guess I'll keep my day job.

1 comment: