A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sunday Comics

If your house was anything like mine growing up, there were two things that made Sunday different from every other day of the week.  Of course, the first one was church, but the second was the Sunday comics.  Much more exciting than the few pages of black and white strips during the weekdays, the Sunday comics were in full, vivid color, which of course made them funnier.

I'm not sure how great the comics are now, since there isn't really much of a local paper in our neck of the woods, and seeing comics without Calvin & Hobbes still makes me sad, but an item in my most recent package from Nick at the Dime Box blog made me reminiscence of the good 'ol days of lying on the living room carpet with the comics sprawled out.  (I grabbed the sports page as well, but you always wanted to get to the comics first; the competition for the sports page was a little lighter)

Topps made these booklets in 1970.  I had seen a few of these online, but didn't know that Original Padre Al Ferrara had made the list.  Here are the contents of the booklet in pictorial form.  I'll let them speak for themselves.







Looks like Ferrara wasn't the star of the booklet checklist by any means, but he did have an interesting story to tell.  Can't say that there are many professional ballplayers who have played at Carnegie Hall (though I have a hard time believing that he played "Take Me Out To The Ballgame").

My favorite part of the comic is the last panel, when it appears that he was picked by the Padres in the inaugural draft because they drew his name out of a hat.

Its no Calvin & Hobbes, but its alright in my book!  Thanks Nick!

EDIT: There were actually lots of things that made Sunday different from the rest of the days as a kid.  Chief among them was buying the "nice" loaf of bread so that all of our sandwiches were extra soft.  We'd also buy Doritos (which would be gone by the end of the day, between the nine people in the house (I'm the oldest of seven).  Also, my mom would buy M&Ms that we could have after writing in our journals.  Most of my journal entries were basically box scores of Padres games or updates of the NL Batting Title race (depending on the year that Tony Gwynn was having).  I think that this blog is a tribute to my mom always trying to get us to write in our weekly journal.  Love you mom!  Sorry that this is all about baseball cards, I promise that this week there will be a post with more pictures of your grandchildren .

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you. The last panel cracked me up! "Let's see, let me just reach into the hat... and.. looks like... I WANT AL FERRARA!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thanks for sharing that booklet... My favorite panel was the "cup of coffee" he had with the Dodgers. I wonder how many kids thought he literally got a cup of coffee with the Dodgers.

    I'm a little surprised that the comic hadn't mentioned his modest acting career... During the 60's, he appeared on Gilligan's Island (as "Native") and Batman (as "Trap Door", which I hope is a villain and not an actual trap door).

    It's funny, just the other day my brother & I were talking about stopping at the bakery after church and eating pieces of freshly baked rye bread on the way home. I guess it's something of a universal thing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. These comic booklets are quite awesome. Glad you liked the Ferrara!

    ReplyDelete