A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Monday, August 19, 2013

Where There's A Will...

I had a semi-negative post all lined up for today, ranting about the Allen & Ginter Padres team set.  But after yesterday's game, I had to change some things around.  For those who missed it, the Padres managed to split the four game series against the Mets on a walk-off solo home run by National League Player of the Week Will Venable.


You read that right.  Somebody on the Padres (who are twelve games under .500) won an award.  Last week he hit .406 (13 for 32) with two homers, two doubles, a triple, and seven runs scored.  His 13 hits and 23 total bases were also the highest in the NL during that time.  On top of that, Venable also currently has the longest hitting streak in the majors at 15 games.  Since the beginning of that streak (dating back to August 2nd), he is hitting .377 with 5 homers and 8 RBI.


Anyways, lots of numbers there, but the easy way to say it is that Venable is on a roll right now, and the Padres sure could use it, with their All-Star Everth Cabrera on a suspension for PEDs and Carlos Quentin on the DL.  A little over a week ago, I mentioned that I had made my peace with Venable, as a player who had lots of potential but could never produce consistently, and was at best a fourth outfielder.

Way to prove me wrong, Will.

Not that I have a problem with it at all.  Like I said then, I am a Will Venable fan.  


As a matter of fact, here are all of the Venable cards that I have in my collection, which happens to be the same number of games he's hit in consecutively.  How serendipitous.

I'm not sure where Will's future will take him, but for now, I'm glad that he's in San Diego, even if he's taking a little playing time away from my man Chris Denorfia.

And hey, if he keeps hitting homers (17, which leads the Padres) and raising his average (currently at .266, up twelve points since that post about him), maybe his defense will be recognized and he could win a Gold Glove.  Go to mlb.com and watch some video, the guy's got skills.

Hey, a guy can dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment