A blog about baseball cards... and the Padres

Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Trip

So last night we got back from our little trip to San Antonio.  Things were a little grumpy around the house, as we had decided to leave a day earlier than planned, so we weren't as prepared as we should've been.  Before we left, I had to make sure that the car we were driving down had it's safety inspection sticker, and then show a receipt to somebody so I could avoid getting a ticket.  I also finally became a true Texan and got my drivers license switched over to the Lone Star State.  Any later and I would've had to take the drivers test again.  Since it was my birthday, while we were at Target picking up last minute stuff, I picked up a pack of this year's Archives and pulled this Chris Davis card, the only one from the pack that made it into the collection.  Still a sweet looking card.

Anyways, when we finally got out of town, our first stop was in Austin.  We had lunch at a really good, very hip burger place called Hopdoddy.  Good burgers, but a little too pricey for my taste, not sure that we'll be back again anytime soon.  I'm usually just a straight up, normal burger kinda guy - cheese, lettuce, onion, tomato, and I'm good.  This time, I treated myself to some fancy stuff - arugula, brie, some kind of aioli, steak sauce, and something called Akaushi beef.  Not bad at all, but I think I'll stick to something with a more reasonable price next time.  It's still a cheeseburger, after all.

Here is a blurry picture of my daughter, who was very hyper while we were waiting in line...

and my son, who wasn't as hyper.  We were right in front of a TV that was showing Shark Week, and we watched a shark eat something like 20% it's body weight in tuna.  Pretty gnarly.

Next, we went to Barton Springs, which is a super cool Austin hangout.  It's a natural spring that is pretty chilly all year long, and is a place that we've been meaning to go ever since we moved to Texas.  As cool as it was, it was by far the low point of the trip, since, upon getting ready to leave, I found that I lost my wedding band.  The water is very clear, and I thought the moss on the bottom would've helped my ring stick out a little more, but I was still unable to find it.  And our seven year anniversary is next week.  So, no pictures of our first trip to Barton Springs, because we were feeling pretty low as we trudged out of Austin.

Still, the drive to San Antonio reminded me why my family is so awesome, because we cheered right up and decided to not let our misfortune ruin our first family trip.  I mean, we've gone on trips before, but they've always been to visit our families in San Diego, never for anything else.  We arrived later to San Antonio than we planned, but found our hotel pretty quick, near the River Walk, and checked in.  We needed to shower off the smell of the spring mixed in with our own sweat.  By the time we hit the road to the Missions game, it was already 45 minutes past the start of the game.

I had been secretly hoping to try to get some autographs before the game, but wasn't disappointed that we couldn't, because such is life with two kids under the age of three.  Wish the pictures of the game were better, but we forgot to bring the memory card to the camera with us.  Don't worry, we forgot the batteries as well.

I guess Tuesdays are half price ticket nights, so since the kids got in free, we got in for $4 total!  Can't beat $2 tickets on the outfield berm.  To top it off, the grass at the berm was totally burnt up, so they let everybody sit in the bleachers along the foul lines.  We were about three rows back from the field, and between third base and where the left fielder usually played.  Could've gone front row, but my wife gets kinda freaked out sitting so close to the field at minor league games.  Much closer than I've ever sat at Petco Park.

The Missions won 4-2.  The handful of players that I'd heard of did pretty well.  Yeison Ascencio stole a base and advanced to third as the throw went into the outfield, and later came around to score.  Jeudy Valdez went 1-4 with an RBI on a double that went down the line right in front of us.  Austin Hedges, my favorite Friar prospect, went 1-3 with a solid single up the middle, but got stranded.  Rocky Gale, a guy I'd never heard of, was the star of the game, as he went 3-4 with three singles and three RBI.  Donn Roach was the starter and got the win, giving up one run on five hits in five innings.

The Arkansas Travelers didn't play too bad either.  Not a whole lot that went on offensively, but their center fielder, Randal Grichuk, made a sweet full extension dive to rob a base hit, and third baseman Kaleb Cowart made a slick back handed grab at third to make a tough out as well.

The best part of the whole night was being able to take my son Foster to his first baseball game.  I don't want baseball to be the most important thing in his life, but I really hope that it's something that we have in common.  My dad was my coach for a bunch of seasons in Little League, and I'd like to be able to do that with him.  Or at the very least, be able to catch a game together and enjoy it.

We left at the end of the 8th, as the kids were tired and we didn't mind getting a jump on the traffic, even if it wasn't a huge crowd.  To make it seem more like a "birthday" celebration, we went to the Cheesecake Factory to get some slices of cake.  Nothing says "vacation" like eating cake in a hotel room at 11:00 at night with a two and a half year old.

We woke up late the next day, around 9:00, and after eating some breakfast, we stopped by the San Antonio Zoo.  No pictures of this either, since we didn't see very many animals there.  It was too freaking hot, so I don't really blame them for hiding out.  Even though people kept telling us about the two headed turtle, the only part of the zoo that we enjoyed was the aquarium that had lots of fish and a few hippos that were too hot to move - it had air conditioning!  After being there for a bit, we decided to get out of Dodge and head somewhere cool.

Maybe this doesn't seem cool to you, but this was awesome.  This is a free pool in San Antonio that's fed by a spring of some sort, though I think it's still chlorinated.  But shade + cool water = happy family.

After that, we headed back to Austin to have some margherita pizza at Home Slice, which is the best pizza I've ever had.  Seriously, if you're ever in the ATX, you gotta check it out.  Then we dinked around a little bit and headed home.

I've got some stuff lined up for some upcoming posts, but I wanted to post about our trip before it became old news.  I've still neglected finishing the post on Spring Training from March.  Anyways, even though losing my ring was a huge bummer, it was a great trip.  Even though it was a pretty short one, we had a good time, hopefully we can do something like that again.


  1. Sorry to hear about your ring, but otherwise it sounds like a good trip. I've been to Barton Springs myself a time or 10. Did you take the kids on the little train at that park?

  2. Really sorry to hear about your ring. I know how losing something like that can be. But, it sounds like an otherwise fun and memorable trip with your family. Cute kids, by the way!

  3. Ahh, that stinks, but way to make the best of it.

  4. A. That cheeseburger sounds awesome!
    B. I don't really want children... but I've got to admit... taking your son to his first ballgame is definitely making me rethink this.
    C. Sorry to hear about your ring.
    D. That public pool in SA looks sweet!